M1 EP, 2,000 OCI, 28,290 VM, '15 Chevy Colorado V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
dnewton3. Regarding an extended warranty. Once I read all the information available on vehicles with an LFX engine, I convinced yourself that it is a significant risk to keep this vehicle past the expiration of the power train warranty. I won't try to cover all the information I read, but the LFX is the last engine in this series to use the 3 chain, link chain cam drive system (with nine meshing points). The new
LGX engine was redesigned to use only two roller chains ( with five meshing points) for the cam drive.

Change the oil every 2,000 miles with the cheapest SuperTech walmart conventional 5w30 until this is resolved.
Keep a Fram Ultra oil filter on it for 4,000 miles though. It's designed to do 20,000 on a normal engine, so no problem here.
Of course, if the num-nuts at GM or the dealership come thru "in the next day or two" (yeah, right) then it won't be necessary.
"Don't call us, we'll call you."

oil-film-movies I agree, at this point I am just trying to keep coolant contamination / sludge to a minimum, while continuing to add to the database of oil analyses. The only thing I want to make sure of is the oil meets the GM Dexos standard, as I don't want to give them a reason to walk away from this problem.

chrisgraham, dexos1 gen2 is smart here I guess. Pennzoil Plat 5w30 is available for $13 for a 5-quart jug after Pennz rebate, so pretty cheap dexos1 oil. I think Mobil1 is running rebates too.

Originally Posted by chrisgraham
You are correct that a typical user would run it without managing the problem. Frankly, that is hard for me to do, as I have been a gear head since my youth and tend to have too much sympathy for ailing mechanical devices. That being said, I will likely have to stop managing the problem, so that others can see exactly what is going on with this engine.

I do understand, it would be tough for me to do too...

I would have to keep telling myself that if it was going to blow up, blowing up within the warranty period would be greatly preferred...

DuckRyder. I do agree it is better to catch the sample mid-stream. I will probably try this next time, but the way the oil comes out of the pan (straight out the side in a high velocity jet) makes it a challenge.

Might consider a sample pump, they are not that expensive, I think Blackstones is 15 bucks or so... then you could monitor it (still get the data) without a change...

The sample pump was $35.00, but appears to be pretty well engineered for in crankcase oil sampling. I just ordered one.

dnewton3, you are absolutely correct, and I agree that I may have to push GM hard in order to get this problem resolved under warranty. Right now, I am going to give the dealership (really a very good dealership) and GM one more attempt to find and fix the problem. If that is not successful, I am preparing to take several of the steps you have mentioned above. And yes, the oil analysis data may wind up being the key evidence in my favor.

As someone who recently learned that FCA couldn't care less about customers - New 2018 threw a CEL at 130 miles out of the gate, spent two months at the dealer, and I ended up with a car with a FrankenEngine (long block) - I am sure GM is the same. I went down the path of trying to get my new car replaced. Even with the manufacturer having gone long past the NC out of service requirements, a Lemon law lawyer said forcing it would be a long road. First order of priority for you is to get them to concur that there's a problem. Maybe they need to visibly see coolant in the oil. The analysis might help, but has it made an impression yet? Maybe they need you to show them a dipstick full of coolant laden oil. If they (you) do a pressure test on the cooling system, does it leak down? Have they (or you) even done that yet?

Oh, and... does the underside of the oil cap show signs of moisture? Maybe that is visible proof to them.

Last edited:
Bob_W After the third visit to the dealership, the service manager told me he does not believe the truck is loosing coolant, as the tests performed by the dealership have not indicated there is a problem. I have shown the lab analysis results to the service manager, who attached them to the service order, but did not acknowledge the results. At this point, if the service department can't confirm it, the problem is not actionable. During our last conversation, the service manager and I both agreed that GM Corporate would need to get involved at some point, although we likely have different opinions regarding what that means. Regarding the sludge, again the service department has not seen it, so it is not actionable. In response to your first comments, FCA's response to your problem was typical of most large corporations (if indeed they even acknowledge they created a warrantable problem), and was intended to meet the requirements of their warranty at a minimum cost (to them). At this point, my goal is for GM to acknowledge this truck has a problem, identify the cause and tell me what they are willing to do to correct the problem.

And I would bet the farm that when you mention the UOA to the dealer they will give you some idiotic reason to justify why they should ignore it.

My recommendation here is contact GM customer care, vehicle has been to dealer multiple times. And you want to have this resolved on next visit otherwise you want vehicle bought back as lemon if needed with legal action. Tell them you have receipts of vehicle being misdiagnosed multiple times and multiple UOA from two different labs and coolant consumption like you told us. Have the GM customer care lady call Service manager there and schedule appointment for you and have her explain situation to service manager. When you get there lay down all receipts and UOA papers (Copies only) you have because foreman of the shop will look at them I promise you that. When GM calls dealership service department they dont take that lightly. (Ive had to do it once on 14 chevy ss (holden/ malibu looking one).

If that doesnt either get car fixed or bought back and you meet your minimum visits for same issue for lemon law I would just call GM customer care again tell them you bought it in for x amount of times at dealer and you want it bought back or your taking legal action. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Stop adding coolant and changing the oil yourself.

Pretty interesting that with all the coolant this engine has taken, wear metals are not THAT high.

Mechanics are a dying breed and technicians are the norm. Before I got hurt I seen writing on the wall. The pay scale doesn't dictate preparing a true diagnostic without code. Worked for both GM and Toyota with same problem. Seen buy backs from stuck open injectors to rear defrost cause code wasn't found or they read code and replaced part for code with no diagnostics done then I was stuck with engineer after the buy back only then it was fixed. Tech's want big check and don't take pride in understanding or repairing a problem. Sent mom's Impala on wrecker with bad alternator and rear defrost not working and I had a good idea what it needed. Took them a week and would not diagnose alternator until battery was changed. She gave in then got call it needed alternator and 8 hrs diagnostic time to look at rear defrost. When I got involved they told me that they needed codes and since battery light was on she needed battery so I had her pull car from dealership. Still no rear defrost. Good luck getting them to fix.

Gasbuggy. Yes, I have stopped "heroic" measures to manage this problem. The dealer will be adding coolant and/or performing oil changes from this point forward. I did buy a sample pump and will be sampling the oil for analysis through a normal oil change cycle as defined by the OLM. Yeah, the engine is actually in good shape, due to all the oil changes and flushes, but I know without them, it won't take the engine very long to sludge up again.

Shata, I have contacted GM Customer Care about this, and started a case file. I talked to a "Senior Adviser" (SA) about this and heard him repeat the company line (the dealer said I did not have a problem), then shared my observations and data, at which point the SA told me to schedule another appointment with the dealer, which I have done. The service department topped off the coolant at the last visit and told me not to touch it. Well, so far in 1500 miles of driving since then the coolant level in the expansion tank is gone, which is about 32 ounces of coolant. This is about double previous loss, and suggests all the pressure checks the dealer has performed has made the problem worse, which may in fact help them find the problem the next time. The GM SA also told me if the dealer doesn't find the problem the next time, a Technical/Engineering team will be assigned to come to the dealership to help them find the problem. So, if the Tech/Eng team still can't find the problem, I will promise GM (I don't threaten) I will litigate a resolution unless GM chooses to buy back the vehicle.

Tiger682 Yes, the continual rush to reduce time and labor cost has pretty much caused all major manufacturers to adopt a plug an pray approach to problem solving.

I had a 94 GMC Sonoma that I had to play this game with gm over. Long story short, after a year of doing nothing they changed intake gaskets. Why they didn't also do head gaskets st the same time I have no clue. Anyway they screwed up installing the intake gaskets and I burned 4 quarts oil in the first 500 miles. At that point the service manager just said they're ordering a new engine and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back