Low profile tires and bent rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
A note about run flats: they tend to cause wheels to break into pieces, at least on stock, modern BMW wheels.

Tell me more?

Run flats can destroy a wheel. I had to scrap 2 rear wheels somebody's 99 Corvette. The wheels had radial cracks across the back bead seat area. 5 evenly spaced cracks about 1 in. long in between the spokes on the front. Something has to give. Stiff sidewalls and suspension caused the wheel to flex and crack on the backside, even caused the tires to cup in like 10 waves around the tire. 11 in. wide wheel with almost 9 inches of backspacing. Take a 5 gallon bucket and compare how stiff the closed end is compared to the open end. It is always the backside of the wheel that bends. Zero offset wheels are much stronger, but not used anymore.

215 45 17 are not that low profile.. maybe 40 or less is considered that.. but I have hit alot of potholes with 30-32psi, and never had an issue. I honestly think poor roads are the thing we should be arguing more than low pro tires.. enjoy my roads:
search in goodle images: montreal potholes

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: JAG
A note about run flats: they tend to cause wheels to break into pieces, at least on stock, modern BMW wheels.

Tell me more?

When I bought a 2008 BMW 135i, I discussed run flats with people who worked at the BMW dealership and they said they saw a significant number of owners who had run flats come in with broken wheels. Wheels were not just cracked...they were in pieces.

Originally Posted By: rationull
This is the biggest reason I don't like the trend toward lower profile tires on bigger wheels in all kinds of cars. If I bend a rim on my car (17" wheels with 45 series tires) I'm going to seriously consider replacing the wheels with 16" steelies and getting taller tires, even though it's a performance car.

I agree. I have 16" rims on a car that are optional and I am seriously thinking of getting a pair of 15" rims at JY that look the same, just so I can use less expensive tires and not worry about low profile junk.

Hilarious responses from some, as usual the BMW owners seem highly affected. Is it because they have more issues or we simply know more about them?

I was horrified in 05 when I picked up the SRT8. It has forged 20 X 9 wheels on it and I thought bad things about them due to silly prejudices and things I had heard from others.

I hit a hole one time in a construction zone at TIA with 5 people and all their luggage on board, simply stuffed. The hole was 17 inches deep (I went back and measured it!). The impact was severe, and I figured for sure with 275/35's on the car that I was buying a 900 dollar rim soon.

But there was no damage, nothing. Even the alignment stayed put.

So now my feelings are if the wheels are OEM you are likely to have few issues as they are tested brutally and are generally high quality.

The aftermarket is always a [censored] shoot...

Here's the thing - there are no silver bullets. I've seen 14" steelies bend with the right impact. Less sidewall does mean less protection, but much depends on the sidewall and wheel in question.

And yes I know from long experience that runflats will crack wheels more often. Which would you rather have in contact with your wheel during an impact; a spring or a rock?
smile.gif

http://tires.about.com/od/wheel_safety_maintenance/a/How-To-Not-Damage-Your-Wheels-2.htm

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_tires/a/Why-I-Dislike-Runflat-Tires.htm

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
Here's the thing - there are no silver bullets. I've seen 14" steelies bend with the right impact. Less sidewall does mean less protection, but much depends on the sidewall and wheel in question.

And yes I know from long experience that runflats will crack wheels more often. Which would you rather have in contact with your wheel during an impact; a spring or a rock?
smile.gif

http://tires.about.com/od/wheel_safety_maintenance/a/How-To-Not-Damage-Your-Wheels-2.htm

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_tires/a/Why-I-Dislike-Runflat-Tires.htm

About tires is right on! Check out the links. And, I have bent a steel wheel on a 4 inch chunk of ice. No chrome wheels in the winter is also a big tip.

I've slightly bent a wheel on the Jeep before, and that was a 16" wheel with a 225/70R16 on it, so that's a bit over 6" of sidewall to soak up the impact.

Certain hits will bend pretty much anything, and in other cases, it's just down to how fragile the wheel is more than the height of the sidewalls.

Had 225/40r18 with cheap alloy wheels and cheap Kumho's... never bent a rim, even in the [censored] roads in NJ and NYC.

Ditto... with slightly more profile, 235/40r18 with cheap alloy wheels.

When my wife had a 2006 Mini Cooper S cabrio, it had 18" 40 series run flat tires on it. I live in Ohio. We have pot holes. LOTS. Anyway, I bent every rim on the car at least once and had ever tire on it replaced under warranty for sidewalls bulging. They were always at the OEM PSI for the tires. I made sure for the warranty regularly. I am glad the dealership I bought it from had a tire AND wheel road hazard warranty. My car is also the reason that said dealership no longer offers such a warranty....info directly from the dealership manager. (It was a major Lexus dealership here in town)

The wheels were OEM. The tires were Goodyear Eagle RS-A run flat.

I think the run flats were a major part of the wheels having a problem.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
When my wife had a 2006 Mini Cooper S cabrio, it had 18" 40 series run flat tires on it. I live in Ohio. We have pot holes. LOTS. Anyway, I bent every rim on the car at least once and had ever tire on it replaced under warranty for sidewalls bulging. They were always at the OEM PSI for the tires. I made sure for the warranty regularly. I am glad the dealership I bought it from had a tire AND wheel road hazard warranty. My car is also the reason that said dealership no longer offers such a warranty....info directly from the dealership manager. (It was a major Lexus dealership here in town)

YOU bent every rim or your wife bent every rim?

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

YOU bent every rim or your wife bent every rim?

It was a combination of both. They were never noticeably bent until you tried to balance a tire.... She drove the car by herself and I drove when we are both together. I try to miss every pothole I see, but here in Ohio, just uneven roads and such can cause problems. Not all of the rims bent at the same time. They got damaged over about a year of time.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
morte sidewall is better I think, the low aspect tires are a style trend, or "its time to monkey with it.
I think big wheels are stupid

They are a style issue, but we should calculate if the air volume is the same or different from tire size to tire size.

It seems there are two different things here, one is air volume for absorbing impacts, the other is the lever arm aspect from aggressive offsets and how much wheel is hanging unsupported.

I'm pretty sure the BMW long term car in Car and Driver that bent a ton of wheels was also equipped with run-flats...

I try to miss every pothole I see, but here in Ohio, just uneven roads and such can cause problems. Not all of the rims bent at the same time. They got damaged over about a year of time.

On the very busy, narrow, one lane in each direction, but VERY potholed/bombed out roads in this area (see Route 202 especially), it sometimes comes down to either running straight into the crater, or having a head on collision trying to avoid it, sadly enough.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back