Looking for a new Mower looking to simplify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
If your intent is to spend up to $500 on a ~21" mower, I would not buy either listed in the fist post. Get a decent Toro, Honda, Ariens or Snapper from a dealer or mail-order.

one of them linked is a Ariens with a Subaru motor

Originally Posted By: Dupree
Originally Posted By: JTK
If your intent is to spend up to $500 on a ~21" mower, I would not buy either listed in the fist post. Get a decent Toro, Honda, Ariens or Snapper from a dealer or mail-order.

one of them linked is a Ariens with a Subaru motor

I see that, but having not ever seen one, I don't know that I'm a fan of that height adjustment system. I personally don't put too much emphasis on the engine. They're all OHV/OHC lightweights now, with finicky carburetors. Regardless of brand, they're all powerful, fairly smooth and quiet now.

To me, the quality of the deck, wheels and handlebar is the important stuff. That's the stuff that wears out.

I totally agree that's why I was asking about any thoughts. as much as I think the toro recyclers are a great entry level mower I want a little better chassis and motor I want beyond a new mower every 5 years I want to go the 10. IDk lol

I totally agree that's why I was asking about any thoughts. as much as I think the toro recyclers are a great entry level mower I want a little better chassis and motor I want beyond a new mower every 5 years I want to go the 10. IDk lol

There's a big difference between the Toro Recycler and the Super Recycler. The supers have an aluminum deck, great wheels and hardware.

I would look on CL for a used John Deere JX75 or 14SB. I found one of each three years ago on CL. Both have the Kawasaki FC150V pressure lubrication engines with oil filters, and the Tuff Torq 5 speed transmissions. They also come with an aluminum deck, blade brake control and fuel shutoff. These mowers cost over $600.00 each twenty years ago. I have a total of $100.00 in both of mine. After sitting since October of last year, they both started on the first pull two weeks ago.

Last edited:
My Honda GCV, while quiet, has been kind of a piece of [censored]...

Was good the first year then has been hard to start (6+ pulls, won't start when hot) and runs rich since then. Also, the motor stop switch stopped working in its second season so I have to pull the plug wire so stop the motor. Need to find the time to take it in...

I had a mid 2000's Toro with a Briggs before that, it was flawless before I gave it to a friend to "Upgrade" to the Honda.

Everyone preaches about Honda but in my experience I've had better quality.

The Honda HRX with a NeXite deck is the one I would buy if I were buying new, and if I wanted the best consumer version mower I could buy without going commercial. Five year warranty on the mower, and life time warranty on the deck. It's Honda Days right now, so you get an extra one year warranty for a total of six years.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-GCV190-...17HYA/100325494

As long as you take care of it it will take care of you sir.....except anything made by Troy Bilt. My pushmower made by them is still running after being used for the 5th year(this year), but it's been a pain in the ***. I treat all of my motors with the utmost care but this mower and the Troy Bilt weed eater are just hard headed as the day is long.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Troy Bilt weed eater are just hard headed as the day is long.

I finally threw mine in the trash. Absolutely hated that thing.

so your telling me a toro with either an entry level kohler or briggs consumer motor or for more a honda gcv entry level consumer motor superceds a subaru robin entry level commercial motor. or a chinese clone of a gx series a direct competitor to the subaru, I find there is some misinformation in this thread. I dont want opnion rather a professional with hands on experience. I have a toro recycler with a tecumseh motor, wasnt a bad chassis motor was fair went about 5 years before it was falling apart. I can buy it beating the costco as it seems off brand but have a hard time swallowing an ariens chassis with a commercial motor is inferior, short of going prograde toro which steps out of the 500 dollar cap

Misinformation? From me? Do you even KNOW what a Toro Super Recycler is? You can't buy it at Home Depot, and it sure doesn't come with those cheapy Kohler engines. It's an aluminum deck. As to the Subaru engines, they are rare. And yet I almost always had one in my shop. WAY more out of proportion than your Briggs or Hondas. THAT Subaru engine is bottom of the barrel. Worse than any new Briggs or Honda engine on the market. Yes it is built decently, but good luck keeping it running year after year. That engine is a turd.

Engine doesn't matter, as long as it reliably starts and has decent power. ANY of the aluminum bore Briggs or Honda engines will EASILY last 20 plus years on a lawnmower chassis with regular maintainable.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
... ANY of the aluminum bore Briggs or Honda engines will EASILY last 20 plus years on a lawnmower chassis with regular maintainable.

^ This.

If you've got the ~$500 budget to work with, buy the one with a solid chassis and good reputation for what ever type of mowing you want to do (mulching, bagging, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back