"Long term" HPL users: feedback/thoughts/analysis

HPL stopped the oil loss on a 2014 Accord 2.4 Earthdreams engine that had OCI's based on 15% remaining on the Maintenance Minder. Almost always used Pennzoil Synthetic. Would lose about a quart every 7500 miles (which is very good, by the way). I'm not losing that much oil with the HPL in...at first, there was no change, but, after a few thousand miles...the level has held rock-steady. I suspect there was some cleaning that occurred which slowed/stopped the burning. HPL in a Camry shows no loss, but, that engine didn't lose any over 5000-7500 mile intervals. MPG stayed the same on both cars. About to put Supercar 0w30 in my 300+ HP Mini Countryman...I'll monitor for LSPI, but, expect nothing out of the ordinary, other than I'll feel better about running more than 5000 miles on HPL (which I didn't with other oils).

HPL stopped the oil loss on a 2014 Accord 2.4 Earthdreams engine that had OCI's based on 15% remaining on the Maintenance Minder. Almost always used Pennzoil Synthetic. Would lose about a quart every 7500 miles (which is very good, by the way). I'm not losing that much oil with the HPL in...at first, there was no change, but, after a few thousand miles...the level has held rock-steady. I suspect there was some cleaning that occurred which slowed/stopped the burning. HPL in a Camry shows no loss, but, that engine didn't lose any over 5000-7500 mile intervals. MPG stayed the same on both cars. About to put Supercar 0w30 in my 300+ HP Mini Countryman...I'll monitor for LSPI, but, expect nothing out of the ordinary, other than I'll feel better about running more than 5000 miles on HPL (which I didn't with other oils).
How are you monitoring for LSPI? Those events are typically catastrophic and "our of nowhere" is my understanding. Very different than mild detonation/knock.

Listen for anything out of normal at low rpms, and heed any warnings from the usually very-picky BMW combustion event monitoring system. This engine isn't one reporting to have LSPI problems (B48), and mine has proven itself to not be an oil consuming engine, so using an oil that is not specifically called out to be LSPI mitigating (but has high Molybdenum and high ZDDP content, both which are LSPI mitigating, in spite of a high Calcium which is not LSPI mitigating), I'm not highly concerned about it. Although, I will be hyperaware about it for a while until I am sure no misfires pop up and/or no stumbles/hesitations occur. If either occurs, I'm right into manual transmission mode to keep the RPMs up, and will change the oil out immediately.

So my initial full HPL run was at 34,000 miles even, I'm now at around 34,600 or so I think. Plan on drain and fill with the same stuff at 37K and then again at 40K. At that point, I'll do every 5K miles with an Amsoil filter change every odd OCI.

Wasteful or excessive? Perhaps. But if this doesn't stave off oil burning or potential issues than it just wasn't meant to be.
I’m going to PM you. We can swap addresses and I will pay you the shipping cost for your used HPL that only has 3K and 5K mile intervals and I will run it another 5K. Win win for both of us

Ran my first fill last summer on my Tahoe 5.3 , 7 K with a great report back from Blackstone
That run included some towing ,HotLanta on vacation and the KY Bourbon trail along with 4 trips to Minnesota currently on my second fill right now same trip to ATL and the bourbon Trail , and several trips to MN for wedding stuff and it has performed Flawlessly we will pull it at the end of summer and post both labs for everyone's perusal ,,,,,

Just completed my first OCI of HPL 5w20 PCMO, the "base model stuff".

Changed the Amsoil filter at 4636 miles, added 1/2qt for the filter change. Changed the oil and filter this weekend at 10,100 miles. Put in fresh 5w20 PCMO (bought 4 gallons earlier this year) and a Fram Endurance. I've gone 10k on PP 5w20 and Fram Ultra's with good oil analysis results, so no reason to think that this HPL can't go beyond that with what we've been seeing.

If you're interested in my first filter: Amsoil Filter - 4636 miles

The filter taken off this weekend is cut and is currently wrapped with paper towels to suck the oil out of it. Curious to see the results. In the oil left in the can, there was definitely less carbonous material, just not sure if it's living in the media. The results of this filter analysis will determine if I go to 5k or 10k on this filter.

Penn Platinum - 9797 miles
Penn Platinum - 10073 miles

Current debates in my brain:

Next oil - Leaning towards 5w30 Euro, maybe 5w30 Euro No VI
Ultimate OCI - 10k is the minimum for my circumstance. Maybe 15k with a 7500 mile filter change? 20k with a 10k filter change?
What filter - I can use the FE2 size, it fits, instead of the FE10060 size. However, it's really, really close to other stuff. I don't know if that should concern me. I'm talking a couple millimeters.
Buy 12qts or 4 gallons - 7-7.5qt sump. The gallons are a bit annoying. The quarts are a dollar more per quart than the gallons.

A 15k or 20k interval would absolutely need UOA support. A 20k change with a 10k filter would allow me to just follow the OLM.

I got the warm and fuzzies reading those threads. The evidence, for me anyway, is pretty rock solid and I plan to run this in both of our cars (currently in my TL and will go in my wife's CX-9 the OCI after this upcoming one). I was just curious on user feedback regarding real world cleaning ability after a few OCIs and any other improvements versus prior OCIs.
I think it is a great idea to us this oil in your TL. That engine is notorious for ring coking and oil burning as the miles accumulate. Mine was treated to a diet of Mobil1 5w20 every 5k after the first factory fill. Started using 1 qt/ 800 miles by 60k. Engine block replaced under extended warranty. Sold the car soon after due to other issues.

i always wondered if HPL could have reversed or prevented this. I didn’t know about HPL at the time.

I think it is a great idea to us this oil in your TL. That engine is notorious for ring coking and oil burning as the miles accumulate. Mine was treated to a diet of Mobil1 5w20 every 5k after the first factory fill. Started using 1 qt/ 800 miles by 60k. Engine block replaced under extended warranty. Sold the car soon after due to other issues.

i always wondered if HPL could have reversed or prevented this. I didn’t know about HPL at the time.

Hey there. I actually remember reading some of your threads about your J37 TL when I first bought mine and started posting here looking for the ultimate in preventative maintenance. The car really does drive so smoothly and the J37, IMO, was the final/ultimate expression of Honda's naturally aspirated high revving (relatively speaking) six cylinders. I had a few things come to fruition that may actually allow me to sell this car and free up the capital I have in it so it is a 51% chance that I may actually sell it this next week and not be able to see the full HPL experiment play out in this car. However, the lucky new owner is set up for success with a full sump of HPL 5W30 and an Amsoil EA oil filter on it now, haha.

For what it's worth, I'm about 900 miles into the HPL OCI on it and checked the fluids once I got home tonight - all perfectly level and still golden brown.

BTW, saw that you a Lexus GS owner.....a natural progression from a TL. I may or may not look at a last year or two they made them GS-F next Spring.

Either way, my wife's fairly new CX-9 will be the recipient of HPL No VII 5W30 very soon so the experiment(s) continue....

I mean if you can afford that. Isn't the point of these expensive oils to go longer
Not generally a good idea to go longer with GDI/TGDI engines.
I'm venturing into boutique oils because I want (arguably) better wear protection and better detergency.
My OCIs of the past were 3.5k using EP oils like Mobil-1, Castrol, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Valvoline. Even tried Supertech's 20k variety and now I hear Fram (Amalie) has their own 20k oil now.

I disregard extended mileage wordings on oil jug labels / owners manuals and still run short OCIs in our Hyunkia's.

With some of us here at BITOG, it's not about the money spent on oil jugs. We believe added quality exists with some name-brand oil additive recipes and base oils..... thus higher costs for these products.

Is the higher cost sometimes unfair?...... dunno! It's all in the minds of the purchasing Beholder.

Last edited:
Not generally a good idea to go longer with GDI/TGDI engines.
I'm venturing into boutique oils because I want (arguably) better wear protection and better detergency.
My OCIs of the past were 3.5k using EP oils like Mobil-1, Castrol, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Valvoline. Even tried Supertech's 20k variety and now I hear Fram (Amalie) has their own 20k oil now.

I disregard extended mileage wordings on oil jug labels / owners manuals and still run short OCIs in our Hyunkia's.

With some of us here at BITOG, it's not about the money spent on oil jugs. We believe added quality exists with some name-brand oil additive recipes and base oils..... thus higher costs for these products.

Is the higher cost sometimes unfair?...... dunno! It's all in the minds of the purchasing Beholder.

Same. It seems there are 2 main camps here - those that maximize every penny on OCIs by running the longest possible fluid and filter combos on products that are bought with instant rebates, etc. Total respect for that; a penny saved is a penny earned. Honestly, as I don't keep our cars for super high mileage lengths of time I could probably get away with using Acme Brand Oil run for super long intervals and a filter bought online with a cash back coupon every odd interval and still be fine. That's just not me. This is all more of a fun hobby/experiment - that seems to be the other main camp......those that just enjoy exploring boutique products and running UOAs "just for fun" realizing their vehicle will last as long as they use it by not spending any additional money on this stuff.

I use HPL now "just because" and also because I appreciate the engineering of the brand as well as unrivaled contributions by their team here. Again, in theory, I know all of our vehicles would be totally fine spending a fraction of what I do on these products. To each their own.

And not to hijack my own thread but the TL was sold to Carmax moments ago. Needless to say the next owner is off to an unprecedented fantastic start with maintenance and the TLC I gave that car. Sure, all of the money I spent on maintenance was not really recouped but it was a learning experience for me.

In the meantime, ordered some No VII for the CX-9 for its OCI at 26,500 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 28
And not to hijack my own thread but the TL was sold to Carmax moments ago. Needless to say the next owner is off to an unprecedented fantastic start with maintenance and the TLC I gave that car. Sure, all of the money I spent on maintenance was not really recouped but it was a learning experience for me.

In the meantime, ordered some No VII for the CX-9 for its OCI at 26,500 miles.
And Carmax might even dump that oil fill when they resell it to document a fresh oil change. New oil and filter even if unkown brand go much further for 99% or more of the public buying a used car.

BITOG is the less than 1% minority.

Back