Liquivac or Mightyvac...Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mityvac 7201 seems well built to me. I have used it for PS fluid, ATF, air compressor oil. Also brake bleeding with adapter.

While the 7201 can dispense liquids also, the only thing I would dispense is old fluid into a container to be recycled. I cannot see cleaning it so it could be used for new fluid, nor having a clean one dedicated to some fluid.

A little update to this. I purchased the Liquivac and went to change the oil in my Explorer about an hour ago. I played with it a little yesterday just to make sure I knew how to use it and read through the instructions (reading material for the pot). So I went outside, pulled the dipstick and marked my tubing with a pen - as suggested by the instructions. Eagerly jumping into action, I slid the tubing in the dipstick and hit a solid spot about 4 inches before my line that I marked. I tried to push some more, but no dice. So I pulled the tubing out and checked to make sure I didn't measure the opposite end of it, but that wasn't the case. So I proceeded to try again.... same result. I figured I would try to see if I could suck something out. Again, no dice. I think the tubing (smaller diameter one) may be took thick to make its way down to the oil pan. Has anyone run into this? Maybe you have a solution?

I've only used mine for my transmission...Chevy 4L60e, and the power steering fluid pump. I haven't tried mine on the engine oil. It sounds like you might be hitting a baffle plate near the bottom of the pan. I wonder if you might call Liquivac and see if they might have an even smaller size tubing as well as a similar type fitting to accomodate the smaller tubing? Maybe a Ford guy could enlighten us as well. Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

I used an air compressor type MightyVac for years with good results. Then a friend drove over to my home and we used it to evacuate the oil in his SL500. We did not wait long enough for the oil temperature to cool down before evacuating it.

After the MightyVac was about half full (4 liters), the container became so soft that the vacuum sucked in the sides of the container until the volume was reduced to half the original size. We stopped the compressor and the container returned to its normal size.

I'm considering purchasing one of these oil extractors. This may sound like a stupid question, but when you want to get an oil sample to send in to Blackstone for analysis how do you get a sample that won't be contaminated? For instance, if you pour it from the collection container and you changed your oil previously, the container has remnants from the prior change. If you continue to do that each subsequent oil change has been compromised. How do you get a fresh sample into their collection cup?

Originally Posted By: bogusjack
I'm considering purchasing one of these oil extractors. This may sound like a stupid question, but when you want to get an oil sample to send in to Blackstone for analysis how do you get a sample that won't be contaminated? For instance, if you pour it from the collection container and you changed your oil previously, the container has remnants from the prior change. If you continue to do that each subsequent oil change has been compromised. How do you get a fresh sample into their collection cup?

For oil sampling you're better off buying an extractor from B_S. It is smaller, easier to clean, and as a result won't draw a contaminated sample because of the collection container not being clean. It is specifically designed to draw an oil sample via the dipstick of oil which you plan on continuing to use.

Either buy an extractor from B_S or from Harbor Freight. No large oil extractor can be used to draw a sample without contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back