Lexus GS300|Toyota T-IV|86,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Lexus GS300 has 86,000 miles on it and the factory fill of Toyota T-IV fluid. It was changed last month when this sample was taken.
tinman-albums-oil-stash-picture14321-gs-86000-transmission.jpg

Engine oil sample from the car is here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2086172

Pretty impressive for T-IV, one of toyotas absolute worst ATF's. Best thing I ever did was drain that stuff from my old camry. Instant improvement.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Pretty impressive for T-IV, one of toyotas absolute worst ATF's. Best thing I ever did was drain that stuff from my old camry. Instant improvement.

What did you replace T-IV with ?

I replaced Type-II in '94 LS400 few amonths ago with Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF , it seems to shift up and down smoother. The Toyota Type-II was in Lexus since 2001-2002.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
It was replaced with 10.9 quarts of Toyota T-IV, from the dealer.

I too saw a major increase in shifting smoothness. But I attribute it to having old fluid in there before, wearing on it's friction modifiers, and now new fluid from the bottle. Seems to perform flawlessly. No complaints after 350 miles.

10 years @ 80,000 miles says that T-IV is a pretty good ATF. Data like this is always better than some self appointed experts opinion.

I recently had my transmission in my GS400 flushed by a Toyota dealership. The car had about 117000 miles and it was shifting rough between 2nd and 3rd when it was freezing outside. The car now shifts smoother and the issue with 3rd gear is gone. The dealership of course used Toyota T-IV.

Result like this shows why Toyota could specify WS in trannies previously specified for T-IV and why Dexron VI is good replacement for Dexron III as there are lots of cars working fine with those older ATFs shearing down to the 5 cst level.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
10 years @ 80,000 miles says that T-IV is a pretty good ATF. Data like this is always better than some self appointed experts opinion.
im glad I saw this posting. Im happy that I see FACTS TO backup this is a good fluid. I've always heard that this fluid was bad but the numbers say that's they were wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back