Latitude D810 Ethernet Controller Issue, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fresh install of XP Pro. I tried to follow Driver install order on Dell's website. When installing the driver for the Intel ProSet wireless 2200 B/G I keep getting the following message: " The network connections folder was unable to retrive the list of___________on your machine. Please make sure that the Network Connection service is enabled and running." In the Device Manager there are 3 question marks: One by Other Devices, one by Ethernet Controller, and one by PCI Simple Communications Controller. Somehow I missed installing Dell Quickset. It is installed now. I don't know if that matters. I have been searching Dell and the internet but did not find a solution.

Wireless is Intel and working great.

I am trying to install Broadcom nic, but cannot open it once uncompressed. It says it is .sys file and I do not have a program that will open it?

Ok, I got the Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller from Dell and my LAN connection is working. I still have a question mark by PCI Simple Communication Controller in Device Manager. I am sure Dell has the driver. I just have to know what to look for. Thanks for the help so far. This site never lets me down.

Got it. Last one was Texas Instr. PCI 6515 Card Bus under Chipset drivers. All is good now. Thanks again.

Last edited:
In the future, when you get a zip file with a .sys and .ini files for a hardware device, what you do is go the the Device in device manager and click the drivers tab. Once there you click "update dirver" and go though, just skip searching. Once you finally get to the screen where it lists drivers click "Have disk" and navigate to the folder you extracted it to and click the .ini file. It should now go back to driver selection with only a few options. Click the right one or anyone if it has duplicates, ignore any warnings about not certified [censored] and it will install the driver. You can do it similarly through the "Add hardware" wizard if you have multiple devices and do not know which is which.

Thanks! I am kinda figuring some things out as I go but there is so much to know. Nice to have knowledgeable people here as a resource. I spent hours trying to figure things out on my own then came here. I will come here sooner in the future...

The problem I have with DELL is they switch around different network device vendors all the time, without putting them on the spec so you don't know who they are, unless you open up the case/bottom of your computer/laptop.

Dell's workaround is release their own one size fits all driver, but then you are at the mercy of DELL and the windows wireless manager doesn't work (have to use DELL's custom one).

Dell's Latitude laptops only use Broadcom or Intel wireless NIC's. HP does the same thing for their business-class computers, as this one is.

For the consumer-grade products, the standards, well, there are none. lol

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Dell's Latitude laptops only use Broadcom or Intel wireless NIC's. HP does the same thing for their business-class computers, as this one is.

For the consumer-grade products, the standards, well, there are none. lol

I guess I am used to no standards.
grin2.gif

I did write down all the drivers on the order sequence install page so I am ready if I have to do this again. BTW, after a fresh install of XP this laptop is working great. It is fast for its age. Seems pretty rock solid now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back