Kreen in the gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I was adding more kreen today to my engine to get the dose rate right, and added some to the fuel. I did 4 oz into an empty tank and added 12 gallons of 93 octane fuel to my 91 318i.

Now Im getting some sort of funny knock at about 2/3 throttle on flat ground (I think it changes with load like on hills). Sounds like auffled version of when a little kid makes "machine gun" sounds (ti-ti-ti-ti noise by exhaling hard through teeth with tongue pressed).

Interesting... I'm not concerned, just noting.

Also I'm pretty sure kreen smells like ballistol.

What kind of car is it? Running 93- I can't see it being spark detonation....unless you got a car that uses 104 octane or soemthing lol...

And even then, I can't see 4 oz. decreasing the octane _that_ badly to mess with the detonation...

I've used MMO, B-12 CHEMTOOL, 2 Cycle, TCW-3, Seafoam, etc in my gasoline in the past, and never have had a knock issue, and always use 87 AKI...of the additives, B-12 actually increases octane I think...

Always buy the same gas. Just bought some saturday, no issues, same place.

Car is a 91 318i, no timing change via knock sensor in this engine. I have a chip, set up to optimize for 91 octane.

Never noticed this sound before.

Will be an interesting experiment when I go back to gas with MMO.

What kind of car is it? Running 93- I can't see it being spark detonation....unless you got a car that uses 104 octane or soemthing lol...

I was adding more kreen today to my engine to get the dose rate right, and added some to the fuel. I did 4 oz into an empty tank and added 12 gallons of 93 octane fuel to my 91 318i.

Where did you come up with the 4 oz to 12 gallon ratio? This would be maintenance dose if we go by TCW3/MMO type of application. If one wants Techron/Redline fuel system cleaner, I do not think 4 oz to 12 gal would do it.

I suspect it is unrelated and is just a coincident that something else is causing the noise.

Unfortunately, even if the noise is there for the next tank, you would always think that Kreen caused it.

By the way, nothing is stopping you to add MMO to this tank. Kreen with MMO does become ( any more :) toxic.

- Vikas

Last edited:
I think they say a pint in the oil, pint in the gas. So Im at 1/4 the dose... But I only had 12 gallons... which might be half the treat rate they were going for...

All Im saying is that I may not be that far off from what is notionally right. Im always a less is more advocate when it comes to adds. I prefer smaller maintenance doses to anything more significant that can harm soft metals, unless there is a compelling need. Redline does have a maintenance dose ratio, BTW, look at the old bottles.

And as I mentioned, Im not concerned really, even if something in kreen is really volatile and doing something funny, so be it. I drive gently for the most part and Im not using it long term.

But it is a new sound. Related or not, it was noted.

Well in my trucks a 16 ounce dose sounded fine against 33 gallons of fuel. Couldn't tell a thing from the drivers seat.

I can't say Kreen did magic through the fuel line but it really did seem to clean well in the oil. And a side effect is a very clean PCV system. So I suspect if you needed cleaning it would help at least.

The only thing you should add to your gas tank.....is gas!

And possibly A RECOMMENDED DETERGENT BASED FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER like Techron with PEA.

You should only add DETERGENT BASED CLEANERS IN MODERN CAR FUEL SYSTEMS!

Originally Posted By: urchin

So am I going to add crystalline additive into my gas filler? Or does the solvent that carries the active additive not count in your case?
smile.gif

And possibly A RECOMMENDED DETERGENT BASED FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER like Techron with PEA.

OK, I'll bite...

WHY???

LOLz, Jim

Is PEA technically a detergent? i don't think so. Dishwashing fluid id clearly a detergent. I wouldn't put it in gas.

You can be "cute" all you want, but the fact is that PEA is a gasoline detergent developed by Chevron and is the best product for deposit removal in the industry.

Kerosene is the most mild carrier solvent you could use next to gasoline, that is non-explosive. Of course they don't want to bottle PEA with gas and put it on the shelves at your local parts store.

Yes "technically" PEA is a "detergent".
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Nice way to establish yourself around here. You can't just come in here and make ridiculous statements and not back them up.

Proof? There's a lot of us who use MMO, TCW3, and many other kinds of additives in our fuel despite your warning.

So back it up with facts, not just capital letters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back