Kitchen scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you guys using?

We have a really cheap/flimsy one right now that's not very precise and only goes up to 16 oz.

Once in a while I need good precision for baking and sometimes also for mailing smaller packages. I see a bunch of digital scales in the $10-$20 range on Amazon. Anything you can recommend based on personal experience?

Thanks!

How about just the standard Ozeri one that's the #1 seller on Amazon for kitchen scales? I got it a while ago. No complaints and its' $12.14 now so not too much to think about it for that price.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
How about just the standard Ozeri one that's the #1 seller on Amazon for kitchen scales? I got it a while ago. No complaints and its' $12.14 now so not too much to think about it for that price.

Yup, that's definitely a candidate. Just curious, if you place a larger object on it (that's larger than the tray), can you still read the display?

I know it's a problem with most of these kitchen scales. It would be nice if the weight result stayed on for a little while after you remove the object from the scale, but I don't think any of these lower priced scales work this way, unfortunately.

I use Ozeri kitchen scale and do not have an issue with reading the weight if measuring large items. It shouldn't be an issue if the display is at an angle like this one:

Ozeri The Epicurean LED Kitchen Scale with Removable Glass Weighing Platform, 18-Pound, Black

I've been using a large analog faced scale for decades now, for the heavier things and a much smaller balance scale for lighter items. The former one will measure up to several pounds + the scale is never obscured. Something to consider when shopping.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've been using a large analog faced scale for decades now, for the heavier things and a much smaller balance scale for lighter items. The former one will measure up to several pounds + the scale is never obscured. Something to consider when shopping.

We have a large analog one too for some reason? Its zeroed for the bowl on top but I don't know what advantage that is(my wife is the chef at our place). I guess she can weigh stuff fast as its always on the counter with its bowl?
We also have a small digital one that seems to be rarely used. It is a cheapie that I got at radio shack many years ago.

My wife uses this one from Amazon.

I've found it to be very accurate at lower weights. I have a set of calibration weights at work that range from 25g - 500g and it's within 5% which I think is pretty respectable for a cheap scale.

Larger items do obscure the screen but there's a hold button on the side.

The Escali Primo recently won during a recent test of scales on a Canadian cooking show; but I have no experience with it.

Not sure if it meets the criteria you set. HTH.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I use Ozeri kitchen scale and do not have an issue with reading the weight if measuring large items. It shouldn't be an issue if the display is at an angle like this one:

Ozeri The Epicurean LED Kitchen Scale with Removable Glass Weighing Platform, 18-Pound, Black

Thanks. I ended up getting this one.

I was also considering another Ozeri that looks like an ipad, mainly from the looks perspective - wife loved it, but the reviews said the cr2 batteries don't last in it, so i passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back