k &n vs. oem...(continued!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I got to ask. Why the noise level should increase with drop-in K&N filter in a stock box with the stock silencer attached?

This whole K&N thing is like pearls before swine. Some people just dont get it. No matter what the facts are they insist that its superior.

quote:

Originally posted by shavenstringer:
This whole K&N thing is like pearls before swine. Some people just dont get it. No matter what the facts are they insist that its superior.

After spending $40-$50+ it's tough for some to not think it works.
lol.gif

The only real advantage would be to have a life long filter. Might save money if you keep it for that long. Then you risk destroying your car by over oiling it... I noticed no increase in MPG, noise, or whatever with my K&N. Will go back to paper after this oci is done.

Master Acid wrote >
> i know alot of people dont like k&n.

Indeed, that may even be an understatement.

> i know alot
> of people claim that k&n contaminates mass air
> flow sensors, but it doesnt. most if not all mass
> air flow sensors have a function where power is
> applied to the element to burn off any
> contaminants during the warm up cycle.

Some MAFs and HFMs do have this function and some definitely don't, but this feature is very limited in how much containments it can "burn off" so over time, increased debris and contaminants can collect on the sensor and prematurely cause them to not function properly.

Also, this function typically occurs on shut down I believe.

> k&n it also
> wont void any warrantys. Its all right on their
> website.

So, you are only concerned about voiding the warranty? You aren't concerned what may occur after the warranty period? If your motor has lost more compression than it would with stock filter usage after 150,000 miles, you are still satisfied?

Regards,

Rich

quote:

Originally posted by RichD:
Why do any of you use a K&N? What benefits do you derive if equals the performance of paper filter with respect to filtering?

Regards,

Rich

The price of one K&N for the life of your car vs 20 bucks 1-2 times a year for paper?

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
The only real advantage would be to have a life long filter. Might save money if you keep it for that long. Then you risk destroying your car by over oiling it... I noticed no increase in MPG, noise, or whatever with my K&N. Will go back to paper after this oci is done.

Destroying your car? Say what?

quote:

Originally posted by shokhead:

quote:

Why do any of you use a K&N? What benefits do you derive if equals the performance of paper filter with respect to filtering?

Regards,

Rich

The price of one K&N for the life of your car vs 20 bucks 1-2 times a year for paper?

Why would you change your air filter twice per year? Anyone that is doing that either lives in an extremely dusty environment (i.e., the desert) or they're simply wasting money. IMHO, most people change air filters far too often. They think just because it looks a little dirty it needs to be changed.

shokhead wrote >
> Maintence cost and reduced filtration? You lost
> me.

Well, I didn't try to. You were comparing the cost of the paper filter to the "the price of one K&N". My point was that you also have to include the cost of the K&N filter oil, cleaning chemicals, etc. at a minimum in with your cost (not necessary for a paper filter). One could also apply a value to your time to clean, downtime when your car is out of commission while the filter is cleaned, air-dried, re-oiled and installed, etc.

As far as the cost of reduced filtration, well, simply read all the 100s of comments from others on that, it has been covered extensively.

Regards,

Rich

shokhead wrote >
> The price of one K&N for the life of your car vs
> 20 bucks 1-2 times a year for paper?

I don't know where and what type of paper filters you are buying, but mine sure don't cost $20 a pop.

The price of K&N should also include the maintenance required.

Personally, even the potential additional cost of quality paper filters is worth it over the reduced filtration of K&N.

Regards,

Rich

quote:

shokhead wrote >
> The price of one K&N for the life of your car vs
> 20 bucks 1-2 times a year for paper?

I don't know where and what type of paper filters you are buying, but mine sure don't cost $20 a pop.

The price of K&N should also include the maintenance required.

Personally, even the potential additional cost of quality paper filters is worth it over the reduced filtration of K&N.

Regards,

Rich

Maintence cost and reduced filtration? You lost me.

I use a K&N on my Toyota 89 truck (carburated). In the long run it saves money, what with the price of paper filters these days. If you buy it early on in your vehicles life cycle, as I did, youm can save money as oppsosed to paper media..plus I believe its better also.

If K&N is the Devil then what paper filter is the one to use? One filters better but is more restrictive and another is less restrictive but doesnt filter as good.

In my opinion, there are plenty of good paper filters, have you checked out the results from the Spicer tests?

I personally use Mann or Mahle paper filters in my vehicles, I also use ITG foam filters and I use Denso in my wife's car. I have a Purolator Pure One in my Ranger.

I believe there are restrictions elsewhere on the intake side that are much greater bottlenecks to the intake of air on all of my vehicles than any restriction that is attributed to the air filters.

Regards,

Rich

$10 bucks every two years for my paper filter.
I get to 120K miles before I'd even breakeven on the cost of a K&N.

That kind of cost difference stopped me even before I realized there was a K&N / air filter debate. Plus there is something particularily satisfying in throwing away a really dirty paper airfilter and putting on a brand new one that I'd miss while I sat in my garage washing and prepping my K&N.

2 paper filters a year - what is that like a Jiffy Lube slogan?

If you like the K&N, by all means use one. If you like the paper filter the same goes.

[ March 20, 2006, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back