Just learned about FedEx Flight 705

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff's Notes: About to get fired from your job at FedEx and want your family to be taken care of? Accelerate the life insurance process by attacking a an aircrew of your colleagues with a speargun and 4 hammers to commit murder/suicide by plane crash.
33.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

The real kicker to this whole scenario is how it just gets crazier and crazier as the whole thing plays out. Were you to lock the most bombastic crime fiction authors in a closet for a month, I'm not sure they could come up with such a bat feces insane story.

Nothing short of a miracle that everyone got out of this with their lives (although with grievous injuries).

Looks like a pretty typical prison designed to house higher security level offenders.
With what this guy did, he'll have to spend some years at a fairly high security level although he may be able to work his way down if he adjusts well and behaves.
Of course, he could also face higher level status if he continues to exhibit violent behavior while incarcerated.

Well at least guns wasn't used in the crime and I'll bet the guy was doped up on SSRIs. I don't understand how inconsiderate people are.

I've heard/read that the pilot actually rolled this DC-10 during this incident in an attempt to throw the attacker off balance and allow his fellow aircrew to gain control over the attacker.

That's hard to imagine, even though I know that a commercial airliner can be rolled successfully (read: without tearing the aircraft apart and without losing control) if the pilot knows what he's doing.

I know Tex Johnston did it back in the '50s with the Boeing "Dash 80" (predecessor to the KC-135 and 707). But a DC-10 is a far larger and heavier jet.

Any of you commercial pilots care to comment on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back