just a pointless rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading several articles, posts, ect regarding the P1 oil filter (none from this site). It seems no one knows what the [censored] they are talking about. One person said the P1 is a 2 micron filter, another said it was a 35 micron. Others say it filters out the additive atoms and destroys engines... its so annoying.

I dont know why Im even posting this, other than to blow off steam, but Ive used and liked the P1. However, I am tired of spending 6 buck per filter for short interval oil changes so I am now using the Supertech. And of course the geniuses on the net say its a POS and only filters out marble sized hunks......
crazy.gif

/rant

Welcome to the internet. A dichotomy of conflicting information and baseless blather lurks in every corner.

I use and like the PureOne, no real complaints with it. However, if I could get an AC Delco Ultraguard for my car, I would definitely use that instead. I used to use the Ultraguard UPF-52 on my old car, but the UPF-61 simply doesn't exist anymore.
frown.gif

I like the P1 alot, but I only do a 4k OCI. I liked the idea of high filtration, but I have read a lot that at a 4k oci you can use a cheaper oil filter. 2.50 for the ST or 6 for the P1, the difference adds up. It seems lots of people here like and use the ST and have racked up the miles on their engines.

There are a lot of differing opinions around here. Both Supertech and P1 seem to be held in high regard by many around here as well as several other familiar brands. The Supertech appears to be a great value. I use P1s, as well as PPs, and Baldwins. The one thing that really impressed me about the P1 were 2 particle counts and a filter media study posted by other members on this site. The P1 results were very impressive. I always enjoy hearing others opinions about products, such as the P1 . But I really enjoy seeing some real numbers. Some of what I have read about the P1 made me feel a tad bit better about shelling out a few extra bucks. I do 3k to 5k oci's depending on oil used. I also like the P1 silicone ADBV. By the way, some retailers will have them on sale BOGO making them about $3 each (great opportunity to stock up). Good luck with whatever you use. I am sure that Supertech will serve you well.

Yes, there's a whole lot of misinformation out there. I'm sure before our exposure to the collective BITOG experience, we had our own misconceptions that were ..well, I don't want to say "assumed truths" ..but reasoned with our limited grasp on the topic. We tend to assume that we know just about all we need to about everything that we need to know about.

Some misinformation comes from the manufacturers themselves. A techline at Baldwin may tell you 2um for some filter ..when our experience says that this is not likely.

As far as spending $6 for a filter over a short OCI ..not worth it unless you've got some severe service that requires the short OCI and demands premium filtration. I'd try and convince you to leave the $6 filter on over two OCI's to get your value out of it.

I won't buy the Frams, but a few posters here use them exclusively and surpassed 200K easily.

I would only purchase top notch filters if I were either racing - had a classic auto - had an engine that clattered using nitrile ADBVs - or kept the vehicle from birth to old age death.

If your vehicle accepts nitrile well at startup, then you could still keep the Purolator name by stepping down to the Premium Plus lineup. Another to try is the Motorcraft by Purolator. But the Supertech, STP and AC Delco are fine too -- just a different design in many cases.

House brands by Pep Boys, Advanced Auto and Auto Zone are good enough too. In other words -- pick one and go.. depending on how you use your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back