Judge Convicts NY Detective in Bloody Road Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-convicts-ny-detective-bloody-road-rage-chase-173013752.html

Judge Maxwell Wiley found detective Wojciech Braszczok, 34, guilty of second-degree assault, criminal mischief, coercion and riot over the September 29, 2013 incident in Manhattan that shocked New Yorkers.

Braszczok, who was off-duty at the time, was acquitted on two more serious assault charges, local media reported.

Robert Sims, 36, was convicted of attempted gang assault, attempted assault in the first degree, assault in the second degree, coercion, criminal possession of a weapon and riot.

Nine other bikers involved in the episode have already been convicted of second-degree assault for their roles in the attack.

Banker Alexian Lien, 33, the driver of a luxury Range Rover, was brutally assaulted after a gang of motorcyclists chased him down following a brief confrontation with one of the bikers.

When the bikers caught up with Lien's SUV, one of them bashed the driver's window with his helmet until the glass shattered, allowing other defendants to strike Lien through the broken window.

He was dragged out of the vehicle and thrown to the ground, where prosecutors said he was kicked and beaten to the point of unconsciousness.

Braszczok knocked out the rear window of the SUV, showering Lien's wife and daughter with broken glass. He then kicked the rear door and window area of the vehicle, prosecutors said.

Good. May we hope for a long and dangerous prison stay so he can think about his actions.

This videotaped beating was appalling. Too bad it didn't happen in another state where people are allowed to defend themselves from rampaging lunatics.

My question for you folks is if in your opinion a LEO should be held to the exact same or to a higher standard compared to a civilian when it comes to the boundaries the law has imposed on all of us. Also, do you think whether the LEO was on or off duty at the time of his infraction matters at all when considering his actions and his punishment?

Covering his face like a coward.

He's been duly convicted, the book should now be thrown at him, and he should do his time in general population.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It looks like from the video that the driver of the SUV ran down a biker on purpose.

Video

No, the driver of the SUV didn't run down a biker intentionally. He ran away for the safety of his family and his life. The driver of SUV was a victim in this incident and now you blame him for defend his family and his life.

Watch a complete video of the incident you will see that any sane person would do the same for his family.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It looks like from the video that the driver of the SUV ran down a biker on purpose.

Video

Perhaps you would've had better luck talking it out.

I think I saw video or news about the Asian driver few days/weeks ago. He was okay now but has some scars on his face from the beating he received on that day.

As far as I know, he didn't get charged for running over a biker to get away.

BZRED,

I very rarely log in, but felt compelled to comment. LEO's should be held to a higher standard. It does not matter if they are on or off duty. What is really a shame is how many LEO's were there, and they did not intervene! If I was driving to lunch with a buddy, and I lost my mind/caught road rage, you better believe another Officer/buddy would knock me down and pull me away before I touch someone else's window. Thank god I'm not stationed in NYC. Would have been a blood bath down here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Timo325
BZRED,

I very rarely log in, but felt compelled to comment. LEO's should be held to a higher standard. It does not matter if they are on or off duty. What is really a shame is how many LEO's were there, and they did not intervene! If I was driving to lunch with a buddy, and I lost my mind/caught road rage, you better believe another Officer/buddy would knock me down and pull me away before I touch someone else's window. Thank god I'm not stationed in NYC. Would have been a blood bath down here.

The ones got convicted weren't just "not intervene" but they actually assaulting the driver of the SUV.

Luckily for the SUV driver that none of the LEO's in that crowd shot him with their hand guns.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
My question for you folks is if in your opinion a LEO should be held to the exact same or to a higher standard compared to a civilian when it comes to the boundaries the law has imposed on all of us. Also, do you think whether the LEO was on or off duty at the time of his infraction matters at all when considering his actions and his punishment?
Originally Posted By: Timo325
BZRED,

Exactly

To protect and serve doesn't equate to protect and serve only when I'm on the clock.

Police have the unenviable job of dealing the worst of humanity up close and personal,and there's no doubt it affects them mentally however that "duty" isn't a part time gig. You either are or you aren't.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Exactly

To protect and serve doesn't equate to protect and serve only when I'm on the clock.

Police have the unenviable job of dealing the worst of humanity up close and personal,and there's no doubt it affects them mentally however that "duty" isn't a part time gig. You either are or you aren't.

We don't have a Queen here. We have a constitution. Holding a police officer to a higher standard violates the equal protection clause. But I wouldn't expect you learned that in Canadian grade school.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
SUV driver OK ?
I've never seen any interview with asian driver who was beat up.

If he is smart, he grabbed his family and was on the first flight out of the country!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
SUV driver OK ?
I've never seen any interview with asian driver who was beat up.

If he is smart, he grabbed his family and was on the first flight out of the country!

Why do you think he should have left the country? About 7% of the population in NY is Asian American. Why wouldn't you expect him to be an American citizen? And he did testify at one of the trials. Usually those directly involved in a trial are told not to comment publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back