Jawa 350/360 (two-stroke) motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine decided to rebuild a very old motorcycle Jawa 350/360 from ~ 1965 and he acquired a refurbished Jawa 350/360 engine from Czech Republic. It is a two-stroke engine and I was wondering what would be the best oil to use in it.

There is not so much info in the internet about this engine: no specs, no documentation. At least not in English. The motorcycle looks like this (some random picture from internet):

main_sm.jpg

According to this manual http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/350 manual.pdf :

B1 lubricated petrol

Mixture ratio 1:60 – after running in, 1:50 during running in For whole year riding use oil of viscosity class SAE 30-40 for two stroke engines and with classification according to API TS.

B2 Lubrication with Oil–master system

For whole year riding use prediluted or syntetic oil for two stroke engines according to recommendation of individual oil producers. For riding in temperatures over 0°C can be used oil for two strokes engines of viscosity class SAE 30-40 and with classification according to API-TC.

As you can see the manual suggest API TS or API TC oils. I wonder what is the difference between these? If I check my usual "oil lube web-sites" I can find only API TC oils, but not API TS: CASTROL POWER 1 Racing 2T, PETRONAS SYNTIUM MOTO 2SP, MOTUL 710 2T, MOBIL 1 RACING 2T, LIQUI MOLY 2-Takt-Motorsägenöl, MOBIL 1 EXTRA 2T, etc.

I realize that the engine is from 60s, therefore any dyno oil should do fine. However I am puzzled by a lack of knowledge on two stroke oils and I was wondering if someone can give me some advise.

That is a pretty machine and it looks more vintage that it really is.
I hope that frame is stronger than it looks to be.
Oil?
Any quality current two stroke oil should work well in this understressed engine.
There is a lack of knowledge of two-stroke oils simply because there aren't that many two-stroke engines left outside of weedwackers and chain saws.
Two-stroke street bikes were once common and their were even a number of two-stroke cars, including some from SAAB.
The first Subaru sold in the US was a two-stroke twin of 360cc.
Some guy named Malcom Bricklin was the importer:)

The first Subaru sold in the US was a two-stroke twin of 360cc.
Some guy named Malcom Bricklin was the importer:)

One of my best friends had a Subaru 360 Deluxe. Unfortunately he let a fuel leak on the carb continue and it burned up. He loved it as a putter around hobby car.

There are a lot of old 2-strokes like that around where I live.
They seem to run on anything, and I mean some people use an API TA cr*p in them.
What's the problem is parts availability. If/while you have access to original parts, go ahead and use the most exotic oil you may wish to buy, but aftermarket parts (pistons etc) are just so low quality they won't care and won't last.
My brother uses MOL Sprint 2T in a different engine. Thought I'd mention it 'cause I live closer to you than the others, it may be available in Switzerland. JASO FD, ISO-L-EGD stated on the bottle, much cheaper than the boutique synthetics.

Last edited:
I'd run 25:1 on a good oil, or 50:1 on a synthetic. They used to run just SAE30 engine oil, and you might find an oil measure under the filler cap, so you could sort your mix at the pumps. Back in the day you could get 2 stroke at the pump - BP Zoom was one. Premix and injector pump oils are different, so make sure you get the right one.

Nothing wrong with a twin port Jawa, or the frame - they race them over here. Same engine was used in the Czeta scooter...or the NZeta as it was branded here. The kickstarter doubled as the gearlever...so has to start in neutral.

Oh, I see it's some random picture from the internet - so that's not a 350 twin, it's a twin port single. Anyway, the twin is a good engine too, but has a real frame, and still has the same kickstart/gearlever. Back in the '60's there was a 250 racing here in MX firing as a single - 360 crank.

Last edited:
There are many good 2 stroke oils these days. As many have mentioned amsoil is great, there is also other dirt bike and snowmobile blends that are very good as well. Maxima, and Yamalube 2R are also great 2 cycle oils.

If it were mine I would use Yamalube 2R premix as you can buy it for a good bargain by the quart or gallon at any Yamaha dealer. When I used to ride and race dirt bikes I ran a lot of Yamalube and the top ends were always clean and lasted long.

If you can't get Yamalube in Switzerland use Motorex or another high end two stroke oil that the dirt bikers use in their bikes.

Good luck

RPM is low on bikes with a Czechered past, 24:1 with a low ash outboard oil.
I agree with the SAE30 HDEO, take a look at the additives in Delo 400.

use a straight oil no additive in it !and i mean it 0% additive
dino oil.as for the 60 to 1 thing ? mm might want to check around

go ask tomahawk channel ( YouTube) he race 2 stroke 50 cc so if one can tell you what oil to put in to have a bulletproof eperience its him! or one of his friend from france

India was littered with Jawa but I think those were 250cc. They looked identical. Later they changed the name from Jawa to Yezdi.

If you want spare parts for your Enfield or Jawa, India is the place.

A friend of mine has just bought an early Jawa twin too...I didn't bother to ask what oil he uses, but it'll be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back