Is that suppose to be like that?

I have Ryobi 3100psi pressure washer with Honda GCV 190 motor. I used it for about 2 years now, home owner type use. And only today i noticed it. It was getting dark already, I was finishing my walkway and looked over and saw that. I run 92 octane with ethanol stabilizer and splash of MMO. Normal operation or am I about to melt it down?
PXL_20201028_011815930.jpg

BTW that is full throttle. As soon as it goes in to idle, it darkens down and does not glow at all.

no. no bueno.
is there a blockage in there?(muffler) Cool down & see if a baffle is loose.
I'll take it apart tomorrow and check it out.
I would think that if there is too much carbon build up then it should have been burned out after that. I'll see if there is structural blockage.

I have the same unit and the engine seems to run full tilt whenever it's working. I've seen small pump engines do that elsewhere. Haven't used mine at twilight and it's only 20F so I'll have to wait until spring to know if mine does that too.

You should see the muffler on my snowblower after we get 16 inches of snow. I'd say it's not much of an issue considering the thing has made it through 30 years of similar use.

To know for sure, you'd need to know if the engine is running lean. Pull the spark plug and provide a photo for us to look at.

These carbs have a main jet, and an emulsion tube. Many folks forget to check each and every little hole. Sometimes a few will plug over and make it run lean.

Also the GCV engines need to have valve adjustments every now and then, but they will always run strong even when out of adjustment.

To know for sure, you'd need to know if the engine is running lean. Pull the spark plug and provide a photo for us to look at.

These carbs have a main jet, and an emulsion tube. Many folks forget to check each and every little hole. Sometimes a few will plug over and make it run lean.

Also the GCV engines need to have valve adjustments every now and then, but they will always run strong even when out of adjustment.
Sounds like I need to read up on how to tune those engines and do one good maintenance.

You should see the muffler on my snowblower after we get 16 inches of snow. I'd say it's not much of an issue considering the thing has made it through 30 years of similar use.
Yeah, as the OP notes it is easiest to see in the dark.

I just figured my snow thrower was kinda like this:

+1

Check the valve adjustments and make sure the carb is clean. It shouldn't be glowing like that and isn't normal, likely running lean.

Here is a youtube video about a similar condition caused by a leaking valve:

It is normal for a hard working engine. I have a gx160 on an air compressor that does the same thing.

Steel starts glowing around the same temp as exhaust gasses.

PXL_20201029_171644915.jpg
spark plug looks to be normal.
When running exhaust feels to be "normal". Exhaust comes in "puffs". Not constant exhaust flow. I think I'm not going to mess with it.

Last edited:
That spark plug looks good. I've noticed the inner part of my generator's muffler glow red at dusk. I think it's normal.

I ran a 11 horse aluminum silicon bore Briggs for over 25 years on one spark plug and no valve adjustments. It was on a zero turn Dixon and usually mowed in excess of 75 to 100 hours a year, 3 acres fescue. Since zero turn it was always working hard. That muffler glowed, and under heavy load you could see flame coming out about a half inch. It will be the best riding mower engine I will ever have, i doubt if I am still mowing when my current mower has 25 years on it. So I say normal.

Plug doesn’t look bad as mentioned. I’d say clean or change the air filter change pump oil and engine oil. Give it a new gapped plug and take it from there. Also lose the “mmo” not necessary... fuel stabilizer is fine or something like the stp red bottle.

The plug looks good. How old is it? Is it the OEM plug for the equipment? You could try a colder plug to see what that does.

Just my $0.02
I bought it used about 3-4 years ago. It looked like it had very little use on it. Checked everything out on it and only thing I changed was motor oil. It's NGK plug, I don't think those came original with the equipment. Home owner use so I want to say maybe 20-25 hours total I put on it in last 3-4 years.

Back