Is it OK to put Lucas/Neutra at home after filling up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to put the stuff in at the pump but everbody else in my family thinks keeping the additives in the trunk(even just on the day we fill up) is extremely life threatening.Like if they spill sometime and stink real bad or in an accident they would explode/cath on fire or something.

Anyway, is it OK to put the stuff in at home? Does it not mix right? The additives would have many hours to disperse in the tank before we turned the car on again.And, where the car gets driven is pretty curvy and bumpy so I would imagine that the stuff would mix eventually.

FWIW, My dad thinks any additive including the oily Lucas instantly mixes with the gas in the tank so why worry.He says he knows this from actually watching oil spill into gasoline.

Thanks!

I don't like leaving it in the car either, so I put it in at home, and then drive a couple of miles to the gas station. Then when I fill it up, it'll get mixed in nicely.

i would like to use patmans method, but i figure all the lucas i put in mixed with 2-3 gallons would be a pretty pretty strong mix for a few miles! and lots of it would be wasted... I just fill up before i go home, put some in and it will sit for 12 hours overnite i think thats good enough for a mix.

I called Schaeffers and I was told to add the 131 right before you fill-up at the pump.

Why don't you test how flamable it is?? Dump some on the ground, step back and toss a match on it??? I f it goes BOOOOM..maybe you should leave it at home
grin.gif
My guess is it wont even light up...don't try the same thing with the gas in you gas tank though...it will go BOOOM!

I do the same thing, pour in the neutra when I get home. I filled up on the way home from work just yesterday, and poured in 12 oz this afternoon. It's convenient, and it works. I'm darn sure it mixes in over the next 300 miles I'll drive this tank.

Heck, the road I live on needs to be paved next year. It's rated a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a new road. I'll bet it's mixed in well within a half mile the way I bounce down that road.

I do the same thing for the other three cars in my family that I don't drive. My oldest left for college on the 1st. I put air in his tires, poured some neutra in his tank, gave him a prepaid oil change note, and sent him on his way.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I don't like leaving it in the car either, so I put it in at home, and then drive a couple of miles to the gas station. Then when I fill it up, it'll get mixed in nicely.

I use a couple ways.
The one I usually do is just a fuel conditioner
and NO mine does not light with an open flame.

I have used and have many bottles of other additives and funnel it in, and carry those.

Recently the last 2 months or so I use an canned
beverage called "Elements" they have three flavors which I don't like (cost about 1.70)
I got three bottles, and I Eyeball it when I pour.
The can is 18 Oz. and depending on how much gas I need it last me about three to four fill-ups (days). I plan on getting a few more. The tops are WIDE and is easy to fill-up and to pour.
The only drawback I see is they are not plastic.
I have had them lay on the floor of the truck and so far no leaks, as opposed to the plastic fuel additive bottles or gatoraide (small ones). I usually sandwich the bottle between the hump in the floor and my "CLUB", the club keeps it from moving around.

The other method, when I add some Octane boost which I suppose could be used is in a plastic gas can I keep on the porch. I have this mixed with the fuel additive and just eyeball it on a full tank.

Greencrew,
offtopic.gif
You sound like a cool dad. About every three months I have the kids come home and its oil change and maintenance weekend.!
grin.gif

I once did a flammability test on both Neutra and Fuel Power and Neutra flames at about 550 F as I recall and FP at about 750 F. So neither seem to be sensitive or dangerous in terms of flammability.

However, I would never carry a leaky container of either in the trunk. A rear-end collision can quickly raise temps to flash points.

[ September 06, 2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back