Is 15W-40 Redline widely Used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search in this section of the website and could not find any info on Redline. Is this a good choice to pick?
I just bought an '02 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel w/142K miles and I want to put synthetic in it. A couple of questions.

1) Is Redline a good selection? It runs about $7.50/quart. The Dodge will be used for hauling 2-3 cars to and from Missouri to Texas at least once a week.
2) How many miles can Cumming's engines normally reach?

Thanks
TP

[ December 23, 2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: CarHauler ]

Carhauler,

You should expect many miles on that Cummins engine. High continuous miles sure beats the stop and go miles. The body will fall off before you wear out that engine.

I only know of a couple of people using the 15W40 Redline. I don't use it because of the cost and I have yet to see a Dealer/Dist. But in the case of the Cummins, I don't see the reason for the expense as this engine while powerful is not exceptionally hard on the oil, and that includes the 24V in your 02.

With the number of miles you plan on putting on the engine per month I would look at the Schaeffer's 15W40 with 10K changes. Have it analyzed to ensure this is a good interval, but I suspect I am being Conservative. With a $250 order you get free shipping and is a very cost/performance oriented oil. That 10 quart system will cost you $75 per change using Redline while Schaeffer's will be more toward $27 per change and give you great performance. I did not include the FF cost.

CarHauler,

I'm sure redline would do an excellent job but several things should be considered.

cost,
redline isn't api certified and not reconized by many engine manufactures for warr issue.

As for how well an oil could hold up, as vetteman stated, it is an excellent engine and seems not to push an oil to any real limits. 10k drains on this truck can be done with no problems, but here is some info for you to look at where we did have a 3rd party run out some numbers on several oil analysis on such a truck.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000053

[ December 23, 2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I FEEL REDLINE MAKES A GREAT PRODUCT. HAVE KNOWN PEOPLE AT REDLINE FOR YEARS AND FEEL IF THEY WERE MAKING BOGUS PRODUCTS THEY WOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS. AS FOR THE API I FEEL IT IS ANOTHER AGENCY THAT IS FULL OF RED TAPE AND BUREAUCRACY. ONE TIME I BOUGHT THE API MANUAL FROM THE API FOR OIL THAT WAS CERTIFIED. I FOUND ONE OIL THAT DISPLAYED THE LICENSE, BUT WAS NOT IN THE BOOK FROM THE API. I CALLED THEM TO LET THEM KNOW AND EVEN SENT THEM A BOTTLE OF THE PRODUCT. AFTER NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS ABOUT WHAT COULD BE DONE ABOUT THIS SUPPOSEDLY UNLICENSED PRODUCT THE API NEVER RETURNED MY CALLS OR DID ANY FOLLOW UP. KINDA REMINDS ME WHEN CONGRESS PASSES A BILL WITH NO FUNDING. MIKEYOILNUTT.

OH YEAH DID A VIRGIN TEST SAMPLE ON REDLINE 15W40:
IRON 1PPM
CHORMIUM 0PPM
LEAD 0PPM
TIN 0PPM
COPPER 0PPM
ALUMINUM 0PPM
NICKLE 0PPM
SILVER 0PPM
SILICON 2PPM
BORON 1PPM
SODIUM 0PPM
MAGNESIUM 23 PPM
CALCIUM 3773PPM
BARIUM 0PPM
PHOSPHOURUS 1422PPM
ZINC 1654PPM
MOLYBDENUM 731PPM
TITANIUM 0PPM
VANADIUM 0PPM
POTASIUM 0PPM
TBN 12.71
[email protected]

Mikey,

1) I don't think anybody is saying that Redline products are bogus...most of us get equally good protection from products priced lower, though. Some owner's manuals do say that they require API certified oils to maintain the warranty coverage.

2) SWITCH OFF THE CAPS. It's like shouting.

Ken

Ken2, I will lay off the caps lock. Thought it my be easier for some people to read. Mikeyoilnutt
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back