iPod Touch wifi connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past couple of months, I had thought my iPod touch (8GB 2nd gen.) would no longer connect to my office wifi. Turns out, I had been leaving one digit out of the password. So today, I type the correct password and connect to the network, with a full strength signal. However when I go to do anything online, it acts as if I am not connected. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Does it have the latest firmware on it? Also have you tried rebooting it using the buttons pushed in sequence to reset it?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Does it have the latest firmware on it? Also have you tried rebooting it using the buttons pushed in sequence to reset it?

Yes to both. Still no internet. It works fine on my home network.

Maybe you need some IP address in the "gateway" section? Did they change it? Look at a work computer to see how it's configured.
wink.gif

Is it possible to have them reboot the router at work? I have seen routers work with some equipment and not others for some strange reason and then you reboot it and it's fine.

Also is is possible that the MAC address your IPOD is using is conflicting with a PC on the network at work but not at home and this is why it doesn't work? Is it possible to change it?

maybe they locked down the office wi-fi.. I'm been in to consult on a few of these in my area.

If you haven't tried this already, remove all but your home network from the list of networks. Turn on Airplane mode, turn back off Airplane mode after a few seconds, try to re-input the settings for the wireless network.

What exactly is the security type for that Wireless network? WEP? WPA? WPA enterprise? WPA2? ...

TNS,

Security is set to WEP. The iPod Touch doesn't have Airplane mode. I've tried rebooting the Ipod, turning wifi off then back on, re-entering wireless network name and password, renewing lease in settings, etc. with no success. I can log onto the network just fine and the iPod tells me I have a full strength wifi signal, but I can't do anything with it.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Drats & double drats. I agree with the above poster, security is set, probably by MAC address of the unit.
frown.gif

But I don't understand; why can I log onto the network if security is set to only allow devices with a certain MAC address to have access? What am I missing?

Two different layers of networking & security. The Network layer (IP address) is different than the WEP/WPA security layer. While you can join the wireless network, you won't be receiving an IP address.

When you join that network, what is your IP address?

I had this problem on an iPod touch. It was fixed by removing the connection on the iPod and starting over like it was a new connection.

...When you join that network, what is your IP address?

It is 169.xxx.xx.xxx. The x's are #'s of course.

169.254.x.x is an auto-assigned address internally if the device cannot actually grab a real IP address. Why is this? So that applications that NEED an IP address won't lock/hang cuz they can't find one. This behavior exists in all wireless devices and OS's.

Bottom line, this is an invalid address for actually getting on the 'net.

TNS,

Thanks for the info. With that in mind, how do I go about connecting my iPod to the internet in my office? Would it require my network engineer's involvement?

At this point, I would...let us know what's the root cause. I'm curious.

I'm probably going to leave well enough alone. Since my iPod wifi troubles are not work-related, I don't want to rock the boat. I may try to bring a laptop in, and ask the network engineer to help me get it set up for wifi. Then, I could (maybe) just copy the info that is allowing the laptop internet access, and enter that into the iPod wifi settings???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back