Intersting article on OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.noln.net/columns/9-05/features/intervals.htm

SNIP_"Remember the good old days? You know, back when keeping tabs of recommended oil change intervals on vehicles was easy. Back then, just about everyone stuck to a standard 3,000-mile oil change, regardless of driving conditions.

These days, it’s a bit more complicated. Actually, it’s a lot more complicated. It seems as if almost every automaker in the world decided to go with their own recommended maintenance intervals, leaving the automotive landscape a hodgepodge of recommendations guaranteed to befuddle just about anyone in the automotive service business. And let’s not even wonder how it confuses the driving public."-Snip

The only thing that is really complicated is that the car manufactures use the word 'severe' while the typical driver uses the word 'normal' in describing the service through which that vehicle is placed.

About the only use senario for a motor vehicle that is not 'severe' is driving long distances on interstate highways.

I propose that the industry change its nomenclature to use the word 'normal' for everyday senarios and use the word 'benign' for driving long distances down the highway at constant speeds.

It is a bit slanted towards their business, we can expect that, I came accross it while researching severe service descriptions from several manufactureres and found that they had already done this research.
But if you stick to the facts and ignore the negative slant towards longer oci's(using the most extreme examples of extneded OCI failures) then we can still see that manufacturers are continuing to prescribe longer OCI's.

I actually think that Lexus has the most practical example of severe service description that most consumers could understand.

Your Lexus should receive scheduled maintenance every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (or every 4 to 6 months), depending on your circumstances and driving habits.

5,000-Mile Or 4-Month Intervals

Use 5,000-mile or 4-month intervals if you primarily drive your Lexus under any of the following conditions: - Driving on unpaved or dusty roads
- Towing a trailer or using a camper or cartop carrier
- Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing

7,500-Mile Or 6-Month Intervals

Use 7,500-mile or 6-month intervals if you primarily drive your Lexus under conditions less strenuous than those listed above.

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate them analyzing the different mfr's recommendation.

But to play debil's advocate again - I don't see how it would be confusing to the average Joe or Jane, even if they own 3 NEW cars (unlikely). Read the manual(s).....yeah I know
smile.gif

Not confusing to a BITOGer Paul.
But if someone has been going to the same iffy lube establishment and buys a new car with these new fandangled OLM's or a long interval who should they believe? The Auto maker who designed the expensive new vehicle or the trustworthy iffy lube? I trust the automakers much more.

I am with Mitch. "Normal" and basically all driving should be considered severe and oils changes should be determined on this basis. You should be able to go further and on more time for "light load" driving. This is where you do 70 percent or more driving at highway speeds of 50 - 80 MPH.

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
I am with Mitch. "Normal" and basically all driving should be considered severe and oils changes should be determined on this basis. You should be able to go further and on more time for "light load" driving. This is where you do 70 percent or more driving at highway speeds of 50 - 80 MPH.

aehaas

Speaking of normal OCI check this UOA out..
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002940

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back