Interested to see what our user base uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use FreeBSD?

I just fixed(WOOT) my shutdown issue where it wouldn't shutdown and just stayed at a blank/grayish white screen in Mint 7.

Now that I have virtual box installed I should start messing around with the different distro's like FreeBSD, Debian and Gentoo. To bad Mac OS-X is illegal to try on anything other than a Mac, stupid EULA's :|

I'll have to peak around Ebay and see if I can find a steal of deal MacBook. My Dell Vostro 1500 was bought used off Ebay at about 8 months old for 500ish dollars. Came with the Nvidia 8600M GT 512. Still using it, albeit got rid of the 1.66 C2D processor(laying around here somewhere) and upgraded to a Penryn 2.4ghz, swapped out the 120gb for a 320gb 7200 RPM hdd and upgraded from 2GB to 4GB. It's a beast.

I'm behind the times right now, I'm running a 1.25 ghz eMac (with only 512mb of ram) with Firefox 2.0.0.3, and I'm running OSX 10.39 Panther still! I find a lot of things don't work with Panther, such as the newest version of Firefox, Flash 10 and iTunes 9. I ordered the 10.4 Tiger CD so I'll be upgrading to that, which should get me another year or two out of this Mac. Once that becomes an issue I'm going to get a new Mac mini (and that'll come with whatever Mac's newest OS is at that time, so it'll last me at least 5 years from that point)

Last night was a sad night.

My Mint install of 2 weeks met its maker. RIP little buddy
34.gif

Trying to tweak the OS for a bigger performance boost and tried to play World Of Warcraft(normally 50fps+ under linux) and got 1 fps. Couldn't do anything, couldn't exit, no super secret reboot etc. So I did what every server admin hates most...I pushed the button.

Upon restart it was suffice to say....horrible. I am now running Windows 7 x64-bit and installed virtual box so I can load up other linux/unix distro's without repercussion until I can safely without a doubt not hose my system from noobitis.

Last edited:
i am actually enjoying vista 64 bit ultimate, and IE8 at the moment. my Windows 7 upgrade is in the post now.

laptop is XP Desk Top is Vista. Last Desktop was XP 64 which preety much rocked!!! I am lazy and like IE have tried firfox and crome and abunch of other's but always come back to IE.

Main PC: Windows 7 Professional 64Bit.
Laptop:Windows 7 Professional 32Bit.
Development Server- Ubuntu 9.10 32Bit - Used for small scale testing of various CGI scripts and programs, as we'll as overall development.

All running Firefox 3.5.5
So far I must say Microsoft has done an excellent job with windows 7, they added some much appreciated features, optimized the ones already available, and didn't add so many new features that it became bloated (comparatively).

Originally Posted By: Anies
Never tried Gentoo, I know for awhile it was either Debian or Gentoo for a distro. Gentoo has the hassle of configuring it but was preferred for novice's to try and setup because you learn a lot from it.

Leo Laporte from "The Screensavers" and that Parillo guy would always recommend Gentoo Linux if a person was trying to get into the linux world.

Everything you'll ever need to know about Gentoo right here.

I have 2 of these setups. One at work and one at home. Both Hackintoshes...

NZXT WHISPER WHI - 001BK Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

IMC FX-087 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

XP Pro SP3 on both our laptops
(XP home used to be in the old compaq desktop)

Always use Firefox.

Me: Lenovo ThinkPad R60 laptop (2GB RAM)
wifey: Lenovo ThinkPad R52 laptop (1.5GB RAM)

Adding one to the mix: finally resurrected an old HP Pavilion laptop with an AMD 3500+ single-core CPU using an MLC-based SSD from a laptop that is no longer in production. Half of the 'disk' is XP with swap file & system restore turned off. The other is Linux Mint 7. They both run quite nicely on this nearly 5 year old clunker.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Never tried Gentoo, I know for awhile it was either Debian or Gentoo for a distro. Gentoo has the hassle of configuring it but was preferred for novice's to try and setup because you learn a lot from it.

Leo Laporte from "The Screensavers" and that Parillo guy would always recommend Gentoo Linux if a person was trying to get into the linux world.

rofl.

XP on the main house computer.

Ubuntu 9.10 on the new desktop that I built for the kids with the whole Edubuntu educational package which I very highly reccommend for anybody with young'uns.

New Win7 laptop

HP Netbook with XP though I'm debating wether to switch it to Ubuntu or Mint

Older desktop with XP. It's currently not used but I might bring it back to life with some flavor of Linux.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

rofl.

lol so true, you have to compile almost everything from source. I think I need to heed the advice given to me from a big Nix guy. When everything is all said and done, and you have the machine the way you want it, sans any performance tweaks you like to do, leave it alone!.

When it works, it works. When you start messing with things you dont know, or don't understand you'll break it.

Well I learn by trial and error lol, but maybe he's right?

Last edited:
I mainly use PC's for web browsing and gaming and all gaming needs (map building, etc.)

I use Windows XP on all my PC's, just because it's worked flawless for me forever, and back when Vista came out, it was a 'scare' for gamers in the early stages.

I have three computers, built both desktops myself:

Athlon 64 3400+ on a K8V SE Deluxe with RAID 0 plus another single drive/1.5GB RAM/HD3850 AGP

Core 2 Duo e6420 overclocked from 2.13ghz to 3.0ghz/4GB DDR2 @ 936mhz/HD4870 512MB (the major gaming rig for me)

Laptop Dell e1505 with Core Solo @ 1.86ghz/2GB DDR533/x1400 256MB (128MB shared)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back