I have been using 5.2oz of Lucus UCL to 16.5gal of Fuel long term effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I have went through half a gallon of Lucas UCL.

I basically bought the big bottle from the Napa, and then fill the standard shot bottle up to add at the fill up.

Any predictions on how my UOA may look? Some post are saying that Lucas UCL raises lead levels.

Could it be Lucas UCL is a "leaded" additive? *lol*

How knows just wondering, MPG+ is hard to gauge but I hope it working and keeping my valves, rings, pistons and injectors spotless.

There's a theory that Lucas or other potent fuel treatments may be a "shock" type of treatment, breaking off carbon or other deposits, which in turn work themselves in to the oil. There, they may scuff bearings or other internals, and could possibly account for higher lead or other levels.
I spoke with Dale at Lucas (via email and he called by phone) to answer some of my questions (great customer service). He assured me that Lucas UCL is a pure petroleum product, with no lead additives. He asked for a copy of my last UOA (I had high lead numbers for a Nissan VQ engine), and I'll be sending him a copy of my next. He wanted their lab people to look at them to see what they can determine. We will be keeping an eye on things to come up with a definitive answer, if possible.
I ran a "rinse" of Castrol GTX for 3000 miles, and am on my 2nd 3000 mile interval of Castrol GTX, which will be analysed in about 500 miles or so. No additives of any kind have been added to fuel or oil for these 2 Castrol GTX runs. I'll determine a course of action after my next UOA.
I liked running Lucas. My car idled smoother and seemed peppier off idle. The only reason I'm not running it now is to determine the cause of high lead (61 ppm). I've thought about using other fuel treatments, but want this UOA to be as "unbiased" or pure as possible.
As a side note, I was also running Exxon 93 octane exclusively for 2 years. It had been brought up that this could have led to higher fuel system deposits from higher levels of additives (which Lucas may have loosened). I'm now running 89 octane just to rule that out, also (my car is going to hate me by the time I'm done experimenting).
Hope some of this helps.

Dave

Both my vehicles were better with Lucas UCL. Left my bottle I carry in the car at a servo and havn't used it for a while. Will be this weekend on a 1,000km trip to Dubbo and back (kart racing) so will know Monday how it went.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
**--**Any predictions on how my UOA may look? Some post are saying that Lucas UCL raises lead levels.
---***--- MPG+ is hard to gauge but I hope it working and keeping my valves, rings, pistons and injectors spotless.

A little more dirty UOA at first. IMO, the crud will for the most part be blown out for what there is that will be removed, the rest will absorb into the oil, but Lucas will not get "That" clean.... but it does help.

As far as MPG: I donno how much LUCL will do, my additive did about 7% (if I recall correctly) in my engine. The only way that you could know is if for the period prior to using LUCL you kept accurate records.

If you keep detailed records of the MPG (including the amount of additive), you can judge any product that you add or subtract from the auto to see over the long run if was in effect helping your cause or creating a hinder.

In the future you may want to use the back of a legal pad (what I use on a clip board) or whatever, to keep a long run ( I get about 10K per side - so 1 pad can get about 20K ):
this is what I do: as an actual example,
6Sh 366925 223 1.579S 8.915875 4oz-oil 25.011566
4Sh 373678 230 1.409R 10.00225 8HrsIdle 22.9948262

The first # and letters are the ounces of fuel additive and the type of gas (shell exxon)...
Then total miles, and miles for that tank...
then Cost of gas+Grade and # of Gal. including additive.
Then comments followed by MPG and sometimes more comments.

Then every 3 or 5 K you can run a total of all gas added and all miles traveled, and figure a better # on MPG. Giving more weight to the periods
that there are no Auto problems or oil problems, than those with them. Giving more weight to the last Oil change than the recent trend of good auto. Etc.
If you do this long enough, you may eventually change filters, oil or other things using this data as a guide (well maybe only me). IMHO -
You can tell by three constant drops if there is something wrong with the car; Two is an indication, several sets of TWO are telling about a future problem, or how much of what additive is working/not, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back