hyd oil into an Engine driven compressor (A T-56)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would happen to aircraft engine components if MIL-PRF-83282 Hyd oil (H-537) was added to an EDC (Allison T-56 engine) instead of MIL-PRF-23699 (O-156) engine oil... more specifically how this would happen... hope some people can help on this matter.. cheers

Don't know specifically, but Ive seen mant GT engines run with a basic Grp I "R&O" type lube for long durations. I was under the impression that aeroderivatives typically used more exotic stuff, but perhaps not always.

MIL-PRF-83282 Hyd oil is a TCP + diester fire resistant hydraulic (ONLY) oil.

MIL-PRF-23699 is a 5 centistoke jet turbine engine oil which is typically made with neopentyl polyol ester base stocks and specialized antioxidants.

I would be concerned with bearing cell seals and fittings being compromized.

If this actually happened it is a very stupid and careless mistake. The fillers are in completely different locations. The part numbers are completely different and (at least in the USA) the cans are different colors.

MIL-PRF-83282 is a fire resistant aircraft hydraulic fluid based on a blend of PAO (4 cSt) and diesters (adipates) in an approximately 70/30 ratio. The additive system is similar that used in MIL-PRF-23699 oils consisting of TCP, anti-oxidants, and corrosion inhibitors, but the AOs are designed for lower temperature operation. While this fluid is lighter than MIL-PRF-23699 (3.6 cST @ 100°C vs 5.1 cst), it is within the range of viscosities suitable for gas turbine engines.

The lower oxidative stability of the base oils combined with the lower temperature anti-oxidants will lead to a faster breakdown rate, possibly causing sludge formation and filter clogging. Also there is the possibility of additive incompatibilities. If this unit is in aviation use I would change the oil immediately to the proper MIL-PRF-23699 oil. Given the cost of turbines engines I would also change the oil in stationary applications as well.

Tom NJ

thanks for the advice, no need to be such a jerk... not all cans are different colours and some are exactly the same colour, writing and the only difference is turbo to hydro written on the can ( in the same colour and letterings) and not in completely different locations. In fact it was sitting amongst the 0-156 cans... But thanks again.

Originally Posted By: DAMO
thanks for the advice, no need to be such a jerk... not all cans are different colours and some are exactly the same colour, writing and the only difference is turbo to hydro written on the can ( in the same colour and letterings) and not in completely different locations. In fact it was sitting amongst the 0-156 cans... But thanks again.

I'm not being a jerk, I was being straight forward. That type of carelessness while working on aircraft kills people. At a minimum you wasted a lot of time and money in the oil change alone. You'll certainly need to follow the section of the manual for contaminated oil.

On a side note, Australia has some interesting C-130 aircraft. They seem to be a mix of H and J models. Their maintenance facility was next to ours at Al Udeid.

If you read the original question, it was asking what would the consequences in a mechanical sense be of that issue n ot your "opinion" of the subject. Didn't need you to put your 5c worth in on the obvious. After fatigue and being physically sick it was a mistake but thank you for your straight forwardness. Not needed nor helpful but thanks anyway...

Originally Posted By: DAMO
If you read the original question, it was asking what would the consequences in a mechanical sense be of that issue n ot your "opinion" of the subject. Didn't need you to put your 5c worth in on the obvious. After fatigue and being physically sick it was a mistake but thank you for your straight forwardness. Not needed nor helpful but thanks anyway...

Calm down DAMO.

First, you posted in another off topic Forum and then posted here.

Secondly, it was not clear that this was a totally hypothetical question to the readership here.

As a suggestion, one could simply state, "Hypothetically, what would happen if an aviation hydraulic fluid of MIL " " was put into a turboshaft jet engine such as a... instead of a jet turbine lubricant such as MIL " "..."

No one is being a jerk here IMHO. We're simply giving information to avoid a costly and deadly mistake.

If the containers are clearly marked with each type of MIL STD fluid, there should be no confusion, even if they are located in the same area.

If this was actually done, you need to fix it immediately and document it in the aircraft forms. At a minimum, equipment failure could result.

If you didn't do this then relax and let's enjoy a hypothetical discussion from all angles of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back