Husqvarna 450 and T435 saws worth restoration?

T435: Engine runs and passes visual bore scope inspection but will not rev up. Almost like the muffler is plugged. I will need to do extensive disassembly to get to the exhuast port to clean it, then there is always a chance it needs a carb replacement. This saw is complete. Is this worth doing?

450: This saw is not complete, someone took it all apart and the cylinder and piston is exposed. It is in good condition, im not sure why they suspected a problem with the piston and cylinder but id need to continue the tear down and re-seal it. Then source all the small tid-bits that are missing. I think this might be worth the effort but not sure. Need your opinions on both of these.

I really like Husqvarna saws, but to me it would depend on how much the parts costs will be to get them going again. The T435 could just need the carb cleaned/adjusted. The 450 could've had bad crank seals.

Lately I've been finding that a lot of the older saws are built much better than today's newer "throw away" saws, even from the so-called premium manufacturers.

The 435 is a pro saw and probably worth the effort if it's in good shape. They really are not difficult to disassemble, and cleaning the muffler is really part of normal maintenance.

450 is a good 50cc saw. Might consider an aftermarket hotrod cylinder setup if still available.

the 450 im not finding anything wrong with piston, rings or cylinder so I would most likely just do crank seals and re-ring it. Im not interest in making a hot rod. I think mostly some hardware is missing rather than any hard parts. I personally do use chain saws only when I have to, but frankly i have always had a fear of them after eye witnessing a few accidents.

Huskys are great saws; 2nd only to Stihl. If the cost is not too high, I say go for it.
Otherwise, new saws run like new.

if you are handy you can probably repair these 2 saws cheaper than buying new ones, especially with the 435 (Pro saw).

Personally I'd prefer an older saw to a new one. No emissions crap to deal with.

just my $0.02

Personally I'd prefer an older saw to a new one. No emissions crap to deal with.

just my $0.02

The plus side to a modern saw is less weight. My '78 McCulloch I just rebuilt the carb on weighs 18lbs with a 24" bar.
I love it though. Removed and rebuilt the carb with a 3/8" nutdriver and a flat head screwdriver.

The plus side to a modern saw is less weight. My '78 McCulloch I just rebuilt the carb on weighs 18lbs with a 24" bar.
I love it though. Removed and rebuilt the carb with a 3/8" nutdriver and a flat head screwdriver.

That's fair, heavy saws are not fun. I bought a Stihl MS271 Farm boss last year and it probably weighs 15lbs with a 20" bar. It's not too bad. I used it to drop an Ash tree today that had the beetle. Sucks, it's the 3rd one I've lost in the last 5 years, big beautiful trees. This one was probably 40' tall and about 24" at the stump.

just my $0.02

UPDATE: 11/20/22

T435: All up and running was a plugged spark arrestor screen and someone over adjusted the carburetor as a result. Good new is the cylinder and piston is like new as a result of too much oil and not enough WOT use.

450: Cosmetically it looks different than the rancher. So im kinda stuck trying to figure out how to get used parts. Can anyone shed some advice on this?

UPDATE: 11/20/22

T435: All up and running was a plugged spark arrestor screen and someone over adjusted the carburetor as a result. Good new is the cylinder and piston is like new as a result of too much oil and not enough WOT use.

450: Cosmetically it looks different than the rancher. So im kinda stuck trying to figure out how to get used parts. Can anyone shed some advice on this?
The 450 I believe is in the same series as the 435, 440, and 445. There should be a tag next to the bar oil fill cap with the model numbers and serial number, then you can look those up on Partstree.com. My Jonsered CS2245 is basically a Husky 445 with red plastics instead of orange.

Buyers remorse on the Husky 450.... I shoulda parted it out. Good thing my time is free!.

-2x Crank Seals
-1 front half cyl gasket
-1 rear half cyl gasket
-1 piston ring
-3x cylinder bolts
-$65 bucks

-Used OEM muffler that was missing
-$15

-New felt air filter
-$TDB

Have not touched the carb yet.

So the Husqvarna 450 is not the 450 Rancher? Searching 450 yields a lot of Ranchers.

I found one on eBay for $260, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of fixing what you have.

It does not say rancher on it anywhere.

At least the piston, cylinder, and crank are perfect...........as for the rest TBD!

So the Husqvarna 450 is not the 450 Rancher? Searching 450 yields a lot of Ranchers.

I found one on eBay for $260, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of fixing what you have.
Even on Husqvarna's site their 450 Rancher doesn't say Rancher on it. Maybe they call it a Rancher because of it being in the 50ish cc farm and ranch saw class? Not sure. The 435 and 440 models are identical saws, just one has a 16" bar and the other an 18".

Back