How worn is a 4-stroke outboard oil at 20 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, sorry if any english mistakes are made, I'm from Sweden
wink.gif

Anyway a Yamaha F100 4-stroke outboard that runs 15-20 hours a year and isn't used for trolling or high speed. after warm up runs att about 4000rpm for 30-60 minutes at a time. the oil is still gold brown when i let it out in the autumn and it feels a waste of oil to the eye anyway.

Could it run two seasons in the boat?, or could I use it in the lawnmowers? or is it not worth it?

the oil is, if serviced at Yam dealer: Shell helix ultra 10W-40 or if I change it myself some medium cheap 5W-40.

could you put your useed oil from your boat in your lawnmower?

Wouldn't try it.

leave the oil in for 2 years (assuming it has a filter, heck I don't know...) do you trust the filter to last that long?

otherwise for what little you use it, sure, it's fine.

welcome2.gif

in Sweden that OB must be about 85,000 SKr. not something i would want to be replacing often. the engine on an OB is aluminum alloy and susceptible to corrosion from the combustion products in used oil, especially when mixed with water moisture setting over winter, makes acid products. OBs run rich air/fuel mix with lots of combustion products ending up in the engine oil. one reason for the short duration changes compared to car engine.

what's an oil change in it cost, 250SKr?

i'd change it even if stored inside in warm dry storage
if used around salt water, change.

fog engine with fog oil to protect internal parts.
change oil. don't start engine but with plugs out, turn over engine with starter to pump oil thru the oil passages.

The oil should be changed at least once every season to prevent engine corrosion. Best time to change is right before storage. Don't feel bad. My boat takes 14 quarts of oil and the years I put few hours on I drain out clean oil but you can smell the fuel in it which is what ruins the oil.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind changing the oil in the outboard. But i just might be cheap and reuse it in some old lawn mowers
wink.gif

No reason not to reuse if it's good oil.

We change LOTS of oil, have one employee who takes it all to the farm his Family runs. Let it sit a week or two and just use the top 2/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back