How well would this work for cleaning an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My engine is DIRTY. I want to clean it...and when I'm done I would like it to be nearly as clean as it was new. Only problem is it's impossible to scrub every part of it without completely tearing it apart. Anybody ever use something like this? Would that work well enough that I wouldn't have to scrub?

Engine Degreaser and Castrol Super Clean work well. After the engine is liberaly coated let it sit 15 miutes and hose off with a power washer. If you do not have a power washer just use the car wash. Use the high pressure soap and then rinse with the spot free low pressure water!

To clean my engine I spray a 4:1 dilution of Meguiars APC+. I let it set for a second then I scrub the problem areas with a brush. Then I just rinse of the engine bay with a regular hose. I also make sure that I cover all the electrical components.

i use a pressure washer on a running engine with simple green.

make friends with a pressure washer, they are ur friend.

this is a 1991 accord with 180k that i had origional owner.

-

quote:

Originally posted by carrera79:
That is impressive. I'm scared of using a pressure washer on my car.

I used to pressure wash my engines all the time. Hondas and Toyotas were no problem, GM products are more water sensitive. On some years high performance GM engines you can wipe out a several hundred dollar Opti-Spark unit mounted on the front of the engine with a good blast.

I quit pressure washing on a routine basis because even on well built cars, some moisture eventually gets driven into electrical connectors and can cause problems down the road.

That said, I never did have problems with a Toyota and Honda that I had about 200,000 miles and kept pressure washed. A Nissan I had developed a couple of minor electrical problems that I was able to fix by cleaning some connectors. My GM, Ford and Chrysler products didn't like pressure washing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back