How to "clean" a Motherboard & RAM Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay obviously I know I H20 + Electronic components is not a good thing. Now the motherboard and RAM module sets are fully functional although are fairly dusted by years of atmospheric exposure.

Is there a way I can dust and clean them w.out damage to conductors/conducts etc.

Can electric parts cleaner spray be used? Some online readings said unless the liquid/solvent in mind is "dielectric" you risk damage to electric components. Others said even non-conductive oils can infiltrate and damage capacitors over hours or days.

Thanks, I am trying to learn about computer and one day build me own. A friend just gave me a P4 w/AGP board to use and learn from
smile.gif

Just use canned air to blow it off. The dust wont hurt anything really as long as the heatsinks and fans are clean, which is where I would concentrate. Oh, I also give the power supply a good blow out.

Once or twice a year, I end up cleaning all the dust out of our computers. I just take it out on the deck, open up the case, and use the leaf blower on it. Does a great job with no damage.

Another thing I do to keep computers running good is to take the PCI boards out, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, then reinstall them. Works wonders on intermittent problems.

Don't use a pencil eraser. It's abrasive and leaves a residue, which can cause problems later. Use the proper contact cleaner instead. (I like Deoxit D5).

The only time I've ever had to use contact cleaner on PCI cards, incidentally, is when I'm installing a new PCI card into a slot that's never had a card in it before and it's full of dust and dirt.

I don't pull and yank PCI cards to clean them for preventative maintenance. There is no need for that.

I have seen ones very dirty and brown from smokers house, I might use some electronic contact cleaner on those, but for 99 percent of applications, just compressed air is fine.

I've used a pencil eraser followed with alcohol on a Q-tip to clean RAM module contacts. Had to do it monthly on my old Atari 800 'cause the socket contact 'fingers' were not gold-plated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back