How Chevy Corvette Oil Life Monitor Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
call it what you want, it's GREAT!

We run a fleet of GMC vans and trucks, many are used as stationary power sources operating at 1500-2000 rpm for HOURS at a time. We used to just guess.

I have an 04 with the equivalent of over 400K miles on it and it runs perfect. No oil consumption, no smoke. Oil has always been changed per OLM recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
This is not about GM, it is about an OLM system that is only fair, at best.

That's nonsense, I've never seen any indication whatsoever that GM's oil life monitor is inadequate. Everyone I know who has got oil analysis done and is following their oil life monitor has shown that this system is very good. It might not actually test the oil's condition, but it still does a tremendously good job of letting the owner know when to change the oil. Probably the best part about this system is that it has managed to convert a ton of former 3k/3month people out of that old school mindset.

For those of who that think this system is not good, what do you suggest to make it better?

Excellent points, and I'd love to hear the answer to your question!

I've seen several UOAs from GM products using the OLM come back looking just great! One person that I know personally has over 150,000 miles on his vehicle and yes he bought it new. His average OCI is around 10,000 miles.

I'm not a big fan of GM, but I think it's sad that GM invests a lot of time and money on a very worthwhile technology and people bad mouth it, with no proof! SAD!

Anyone have any FIRSTHAND knowledge of an engine failure because someone followed the Oil Life Monitor in a GM vehicle?

Even better, can anyone show a bad UOA after sampling used oil on a GM OLM run to 0%?

There's plenty of really good ones and many show the GM OLM to be quite conservative.

Exactly. It's too bad some people have the "Don't confuse me with facts my mind is already made up" mentality!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The only big problems I am aware of is with the LT1 cars and the OptiSpark. It's not if it fails, but when LOL!. I've replaced the one on my Corvette 2x. The first time it was bad, then a waterpump leak killed the second one. The LS1 cars with the coil near plug design is much more reliable. I still have a soft spot for LT1's though.

There is actually a company out there that is now manufacturing a 'coil-near-plug', individual coil per cylinder setup for the LT1/4s. (It is supposedly a plug in and play system.)
I forgot their name, but their ads are in all of the domestic performance rags, albeit the system is not exactly inexpensive (as one would imagine!).

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
LS1's are fast, like I mentioned earlier, my mom has a 2000 Trans AM WS.6 6-speed.

But it has been a huge POS.

And I am an American car person. Probably will own nothing but American cars for the rest of my life. Have owned all American cars except when I got a 3000GT VR4 and Stealth R/T Twin Turbo and went through a turbo phase.

For some reason, my experience with GM has always let me down. Always. And I just mean reliability. Performance-wise, they usually have the upper hand on everything out of the showroom floor... don't get me wrong... but I think they had a long phase of [censored] (80's-early 2000's). Every company has a vehicle flaw, maybe a particular engine or transmission you could stray away from... but GM put that blasted 700R4/4L60E in [censored] near everything, and also spread those 3.1 and 3.4 engines around like the plague.

I've been a Ford man since I worked in a garage for 5 years. Either way, I prefer American V8 power. Hope to always have a V8 so I can go out and just feel that good old torque.

Mine has been great as far as reliability/dependability goes.
Dunno, but maybe because I have the most basic/simplest of LS1 f bodies, there is just that much less to go wrong??
The only non-'wear and tear' item to puke out on me (that was not MY fault from modding/changing something), that might be considered GM's fault was the stock water pump at ~80K miles. But even this may have been my fault since I put an (ASP)underdrive crank pulley on at ~4K miles, and due to there not being an exact size serpentine belt available for this setup, I had to use one which was a little too tight against the tensioner. This added tension may have cooked the stock pump's bearings prematurely.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back