“Hope They Got The Insurance”: Of The Best Pictures Of U-Haul Fails.

The insurance is definitely nice to have! I kicked up something in the road and put a hole in the door of one of the c1500s I rented.

Friend of mine rented a U-Haul truck to move from IA to WA. Her Son drove it under a low bridge and took off most of the top of the box. She DID have their insurance.

Dropped it off at the rental place after hours. She never heard a word from them. :)

I always get the insurance, all of it. One time they said if you bring back just the steering wheel, it's covered. Thought about that for a while lol.

get the insurance. many personal auto insurance policies do not cover truck rental or vehicle past a certain weight . check your policy before you rent

Some people have no business behind the wheel of a big truck.

The last half dozen insurance sales pitches I received from U-Haul was that even if there was an issue that was U-Haul's fault, that caused the damage (such as a failed wheel bearing), I would still be responsible for the damages.

I always decline the insurance regardless.

I never bought the insurance either, on the few rentals in my life. (thinking 2 cars and 1 truck)
My insurance company said rentals had the same insurance as my vehicles. So I let it go at that.

After my friend taking off the top of a U-Haul truck and never hearing from them, I might consider purchasing the insurance these days. Would have to carefully study the insurance agreement.

Years ago, if you used a credit card for the rental, they also had you insured. Not sure if that is true these days. But then I quit driving, so it is a moot point for me.

Reactions: GON
9 1/2 minutes of all sorts of U-Haul fails...

Look up Doug Tabbish's fun vinwiki interview where he talks about being banned from renting from uhaul due to an issue with the receiver and hitch on his truck.

Friend of mine rented a U-Haul truck to move from IA to WA. Her Son drove it under a low bridge and took off most of the top of the box. She DID have their insurance.

Dropped it off at the rental place after hours. She never heard a word from them. :)
Maybe the policy has changed, but IIRC, the insurance covers everything BUT the roof.

Back