Honda Race Car Oil Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading on this forum for a couple weeks, and plan on continuing my quest for oil knowledge. However, before I can form a biased opinion toward a certain racing oil, I was wonderin if you guys could give me a few oils that are probably the best for my application. Here is the race car setup:

- Honda Challenge Road Race car
- 2001 1.8L Integra Type R VTEC engine (built Jan 2009, ~1500 miles on it)
- Stock cams, stock valvetrain, stock internals
- 195 fwhp on 93 octane pump gas
- 11.6:1 CR (raised from 11.1 stock)
- 5000-8900 RPM operating range on track
- 25-60 minute sprint races
- 6 quart Moroso oil pan with oil temp gauge

I am currently using 10W-40 Catrol Syntec with a K&N filter replacing the oil every other event (~2 months). I have been using the same oil regardless of the temperature outside (probably a bad idea, right?). I am in Maryland, and race up and down the east coast, so I see race temps from 40-100 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the time of year. I hate to admit this, but at a race in July (100* temps outside), I saw oil temps up to 285*, which is part of the reason I started looking into changing my oil setup. I may do an oil cooler, but want to change things one at a time. Since it's cold outside again, temps shouldn't be such an issue.

So I'd like to ask "what is the best oil for my application?", but I know it's not that easy. I plan to do UOA, and will post my findings. In the meantime, what are 2-3 oils that fit my application and are worth a shot? I don't mind buying the high grade racing oils as long as they aren't ridiculously expensive (>$15/quart).

I appreciate any input, thanks!

Depends on how deep your pockets are. However, given your current choice Id suggest Shell Rotella T Syn or M1 0w40. The M1 would likely reduce the power loss to drag, but the RTS would probably give more time to the power plant. Maybe Castrol GC to get both since the VTEC wants less drag.

If you are using a 40 weight oil, you should consider using a HDEO oil. Rotella T or Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck are good synthetics and have excellent amounts of zinc.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the engine was somewhat 'loosely' put together to maximize power, and it does not burn oil, at least not yet :)

Id go with about a 3.5CST HTHS oil. GC, M1 0w40 at the highest. My experience says the heavier oils though not needed for protection really hurt the engine. RL would be a good 30 wt option if you want to pay for it.

I'd like that engine in my car
grin2.gif

$10 a quart for RedLine 30WT is fine to save a multi-thousand dollar race engine, any other good options for the $15/qt and under group? M1 has been mentioned a few times here too, is that off the shelf 0W40 (Extended Performance variant?) or Mobil 1 Racing oil?

I like RLI SAE 30. RLI is one of the very few formulators who are on the cutting edge and doing things differently, and their oils are SUPER tough.

If you want something proven and with a long track record, there's nothing better than Motul 300V 5w-30.

Red Line SAE 30 or Amsoil ACD would work well, too. Not as innovative as the RLI or as thoroughly proven as the Motul, but still among the stoutest oils you can buy.

Good luck!

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO S, Redline (or in a pinch Mobil syn superbike oil 4T or Mobil TDT or Valvoline syn racing). Some like motul 300v. Ask your engine builder, but at LEAST a 40wt with a chrome ring loose race build. You should condider a low/no detergent oill fresh street oil will cause MORE wear since the undepleted detergent is competing with the antiwear agents. Street oil is useless for racing, esp SM energy conserving.

Redline or Mobil 1 0w-40. Honda race teams seem to like Mobil 1 oil.

Redline hands down.

With a 3.8 HTHS you may be able to get away with a 30wt. However, a 40wt won't hurt a thing, especially at the oil temps you're seeing. You're likely in the 20wt range with a 40wt at 280F.

Redline 5w-30 has a higher HTHS than Mobil One 0w-40 with tons more anti-wear additives. Seems like an obvious choice between the two.

Your application is one where the most important number on the oil data sheet is HTHS. You want a high HTHS which a thin oil. Redline fits this bill (10W-30).

If you start to experience oil temps above 285dF then switch to an oil with an HTHS greater than 4.2; or throw on an oil cooler (which is generally the best optioni anyways). And if you do go with a cooler, get one with a thermostat (180dF or so) so the oil gets up to temperature quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back