Honda HCF-2 UOA, 80 days - 5824 miles on a replacement CVT

My 2016 Honda HR-V recently got a brand new transmission.

First drain and fill was completed @ 5824 miles. It's been ~80 days since the CVT was installed.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 10.24.26 PM.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VOA viscosity is 7.06 cSt
Link to VOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/honda-hcf-2-cvt-fluid-voa.346538/

What was the failure with the transmission?

Lack of lubrication because the fill plug popped out.

It is disappointing because the fluid was frequently changed and the CVT filters were even changed twice.

Wrote about it here:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/honda-cvt-transmission.367290/post-6447077

I took a sample of the CVT fluid about a month or two before it failed. Polaris is currently analyzing the sample and the results should be ready any day.

Brand new or reman CVT? Based on my experience, Honda only offers remanufactured CVTs on out-of-warranty vehicles. If it is a reman, a good portion of wear-in metals should be long gone.

Brand new or reman CVT? Based on my experience, Honda only offers remanufactured CVTs on out-of-warranty vehicles. If it is a reman, a good portion of wear-in metals should be long gone.

The part number (06200-52P-A02RM) would lead you to think it's remanufactured but I think it's brand new as when I look it up on eBay, they all have this tag with a checkmark on the middle option.

It was out of stock when the dealer ordered it and took close to a month to come in.

Maybe someone here has more knowledge?

tag.jpeg

tagonbox.jpeg

The “Warranty A/T Kit” may be the key. Perhaps even though your car was past warranty the fill plug mishap was caused by the Honda dealer? Maybe that makes a difference. Lucky (?) you!

Fwiw, my reman looked absolutely new from the outside.

Reactions: hrv
The part number (06200-52P-A02RM) would lead you to think it's remanufactured but I think it's brand new as when I look it up on eBay, they all have this tag with a checkmark on the middle option.

It was out of stock when the dealer ordered it and took close to a month to come in.

Maybe someone here has more knowledge?

View attachment 156372

View attachment 156373
That tag.. Looks like Honda did not have any spare transmissions so they grabbed one from the production line supply and put it in a re-manufactured part box.

The Honda reman (and Toyota too) parts, the only part that's used is the casing, everything else is brand new inside. Both automakers send the used cores back to the original parts supplier to rebuild it with new parts, then it's tested before being sent back to the automaker as "reman". I think that's very cool it's basically buying a new part, I know this because I have many reman Honda parts on my Civic.

Also.. found this TSB A21-047 for this earlier mention replacement.. Looks like the belt deteriorated and fails. Might have to do with that breather plug, makes sense.. Here's the link and first page pasted.. https://www.hrvforum.com/attachments/a21-047-pdf.34883/

1685166579652.png

Also.. found this TSB A21-047 for this earlier mention replacement.. Looks like the belt deteriorated and fails. Might have to do with that breather plug, makes sense.. Here's the link and first page pasted.. https://www.hrvforum.com/attachments/a21-047-pdf.34883/

That TSB mentions the warranty extension only applies if the CVT gets a software update, making the belt an OBD monitored part.

I got it done about 4 months before the failure so was very, very lucky.

When it failed, I backed out of my driveway and got stuck in some light snow.

Turned traction control off and when seeing the tires stationary - I knew something was wrong with the transmission.

Since none of the warning lights came on the dashboard, I'm not sure the software update did it's job.

There weren't any noises when it failed but the dealer said there was lots of metal and it was the worst one they've seen.

Kind of weird for a catastrophic failure to be silent.

The Honda reman (and Toyota too) parts, the only part that's used is the casing, everything else is brand new inside. Both automakers send the used cores back to the original parts supplier to rebuild it with new parts, then it's tested before being sent back to the automaker as "reman". I think that's very cool it's basically buying a new part, I know this because I have many reman Honda parts on my Civic.

Good to know.

Last edited:
That TSB mentions the warranty extension only applies if the CVT gets a software update, making the belt an OBD monitored part.

I got it done about 4 months before the failure so was very, very lucky.

When it failed, I backed out of my driveway and got stuck in some light snow.

Turned traction control off and when seeing the tires stationary - I knew something was wrong with the transmission.

Since none of the warning lights came on the dashboard, I'm not sure the software update did it's job.

There weren't any noises when it failed but the dealer said there was lots of metal and it was the worst one they've seen.

Kind of weird for a catastrophic failure to be silent.

Good to know.
Hey I'm glad that you did catch it before warranty was over! That's awesome. I didn't take it as the tsb only applied if the software was updated. It was saying that if the transmission is replaced and the previous software update was uploaded then the warranty extension applies because it now is a monitored part of the OBD2 system. I think the warranty extension applies either way.. software update or not. But I bet the people getting this CVT replaced will definitely have the software updated to monitor the belt! As you already did.. I agree, it doesn't sound like the software did its job..

Isn't there anyone that makes a CVT that does die an early death? That yours didn't make any noise just decided to die.. crazy! I'm glad you got yours replaced for free! (y)

and you're welcome about the info on the reman procedures..

The reason the fill plug popped off is that there is a tiny filter/breather in a L shape that needs to be cleaned out with a tiny screwdriver 🪛. if anyone needs help about FAQ on Honda CVT care and maintenance please IM me.

Used to make sure the breather was clean so unless it got plugged with ice from the car wash or dirt from a road, I'm not sure how it happened.

Hoping the vented fill plug from the Chinese marketplace will fare better.

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 7.44.39 PM.jpg

No need just clean the vent plug as mentioned and you will be OK.

The vent plug was regularly cleaned and the fill plug was even replaced with a new one from the dealer after reading this post a few years ago.

Was ok for 113k miles

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 6.32.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
We have a 2016 Civic and a few months ago I found the plug popped out. Noticed some wetness while I was doing a normal fluids check. No clue how long it was out but by the amount of fluid dripping down I assume not long or I would have seen drips on the garage floor.

I changed the fluid immediately and put in a fresh OEM plug(fluid level was still full or close to it). The original plug had basically no resistance when re installing. Plug replacement with fluid service will be a required part for me now. The vent was completely open no blockages.

Most guys recommend 30k drain and fill but I’ve been going 50k on this one. The fluid that comes out looks just like what I pour from the new bottle. My girlfriend is super easy on vehicles. Still factory front brakes with plenty left on the pads at 98k miles.

We had the extended warranty work performed for the leaky Ac condenser a few years ago. Outside of that the only required repair was a RH front wheel bearing I did a couple weeks ago. Sort of a pain but not hard work.

We have a 2016 Civic and a few months ago I found the plug popped out. Noticed some wetness while I was doing a normal fluids check. No clue how long it was out but by the amount of fluid dripping down I assume not long or I would have seen drips on the garage floor.

I changed the fluid immediately and put in a fresh OEM plug(fluid level was still full or close to it). The original plug had basically no resistance when re installing. Plug replacement with fluid service will be a required part for me now. The vent was completely open no blockages.

Consider doing a drain and fill, maybe even two..

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...efore-honda-hr-v-transmission-failure.368942/

The UOA taken before my CVT failed showed potential dirt in the oil and a high acid number. In my case, a single drain and fill wasn't enough to save it.
Additive depletion, contamination and oxidation are common pathways of lubricant degradation. The acid number (AN) test is one of the methods available in the oil analysis field used to estimate the amount of additive depletion, acidic contamination and oxidation. AN does not directly measure the rate of oxidation, it merely measures the by-product of oxidation. It is also beneficial to trend AN to determine the rate of depletion of certain additives.

Instead of folks doing double drain and refill back to back, it should be done at an interval like 30k to 50k. Immediately draining a fluid after letting it cycles through the transfer case or torque converter is draining a bulk of the brand new fluid out. Just let the fluid do its job and gave an OCI base on driving style and comfort level. Just remember that over 80% of vehicles out there never had their ATF replaced.

Back