HONDA & 20K Oil Filter Changes~Opinions>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused.gif
Picking up a new 2007 Honda Element SC this week. Most seem to think the little 4-banger is something of a slug with the heavy SUV, but "bullet proof" none-the-less.
smile.gif

I have been told on the Element site, that Honda calls for OCI up to 10K, & changing of the filter every OTHER oil change...
nono.gif

Sorry... Not gonna happen for me. Not the 10K OCI, nor the 20K on the filter.

I plan Royal Purple synthetic oil, and Mobil 1 filters @ 7,500.

I am open to thoughts on the subject, though I personally think filters are cheap peace-of-mind. They ARE there for a reason, right>???
dunno.gif

OEM Filtech filters are great (if your dealer stocks them). I run them with 5w20 Havoline SM/GF-4 in both my '04 Ody and '05 Civic.

Ody (wife's short trip battle wagon) gets 5k oil/10k filter changes; Civic (primarily highway commuter) gets 10k oil/10k filter changes with acceptable UOA & particle count results.

Using a UOA to verify based on your driving style/conditions, I think any SM/GF-4 dino + OEM Filtech filter would suit you well for 5000-7500 mile OCI's.

No reason to spend the extra money on RP with those OCIs. For a 7.5K OCI in the K24A8 I would just run whichever name brand synthetic you can find on sale, from what I have read here that engine is quite easy on oil. Some examples of regular synthetics that I have used and liked are:

Pennzoil Platinum (only $1.99 after MIR from Pep Boys)
Valvoline SynPower
Quaker State Q (only $1.99 after MIR from Pep Boys)
Mobil 1 (~$20 for a 5 quart jug at Wally World)
Castrol Syntec

As for the M1 filter, I ran one on my last OCI ('03 Honda Civic Si) but it caused a lot of start up noise that completely went away when I switched to a Wix (Napa Gold). Add to that the fact that the Wix is only around $4+shipping from fleetfilter.com and you have a good deal going.

Jon

I got a '07 CRV January & power wise was really surprised. Been so long since I'd driven a 4 banger - was expecting really less in the way of power and an honest 2300 rpm at 75 mph is something quite a few 6 cylinders can't achieve.

Anyways, I wouldn't go with the RP either. At least look at what few UOA's here on BITOG have been done on it. In GA dino's all you need in that engine. Check out the UOA Bill from UT just submitted on his Toyota and Subaru using dino.

If you've got to go syn or you'll just die...go with what Fanatic just said.

Quote:

confused.gif
Picking up a new 2007 Honda Element SC this week. Most seem to think the little 4-banger is something of a slug with the heavy SUV, but "bullet proof" none-the-less.
smile.gif

I have been told on the Element site, that Honda calls for OCI up to 10K, & changing of the filter every OTHER oil change...
nono.gif

I am open to thoughts on the subject, though I personally think filters are cheap peace-of-mind. They ARE there for a reason, right>???
dunno.gif

I have some royal purple literature that states oil is good for 12,000 miles with filter changes based on car manufacture rec, I dont see any problem with that, send in a oil sample at 10,000 and let's see how the homda weathers the elements
laugh.gif

I just changed Clean 7500 out of our older CRV and re-used the jumbo WIX filter. I drain it out overnight and back on with the same kind of oil for another 6k. No problem. I think the smaller filters are sort of designed for leaving them on for 2x oil changes, as they retain less oil. To me, cost of the oil and filter are the factors when re-using. Cheap oil run a short oci, like 5k, the filter can go back on. If using (expensive) synth and going farther, like 10k, maybe you want a new filter at change. Keep in mind the total miles the filter has been used, 10k is a good rule.

Quote:

confused.gif
smile.gif

nono.gif

dunno.gif

Nothing but a stady diet of stock A02 Fram filters for me
blush.gif
. RIght now I am using those but I may meander over to the Acura dealer and try to score some Filtechs they use for the TL. I would go with those and M1 or PP depending on how much you want to pay. M1 is the screamin' demon while PP is that but probably more protection (i.e Fuel Dilution) versus M1 which has the great HT/HS edge over PP which means it can probably take some additional abuse of say spirited/racing/occasional track. Ofcourse, RP is all about smoothness and since it is SL rated, not SM and am not sure if it is even Energy conserving. I would be hesitant to put RP in a brand new SC. I would seriously go with PP with stock A02 or Filtech filters and see if you like it. If not, try M1. RP is IMO for older model cars and trucks not anything 2007. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
I do the 10k Wix filter/PP changes on my 2001 Civic, and currently (while still under warranty) go 5k Wix filter/PP changes on the 2005 CR-V. I plan on either going to 7.5k changes once 36,001 comes around, or going to 10k/1 year on Amsoil 0w20.

ULVER,

Allot of new manufacturers are pushing long service intervals. I've heard that BMW has once per year OCI's and use exclusively synthetic oil. Too me that fine as long as the oil filter can hold all those particles accumulated over the annual year. Persoanlly OCI's per year is hard for me to swallow but if that's what it is then so be it.

Durango
usa2.gif

Been doing the 10K oil/20K filter on my 04 Civic, now the car is close to 70K miles. I drive about 20K a year.

Your Element will have a oil monitor. I think the 10K/20K recommendation is only in the owner's manual of cars without the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back