HF Maddox 21 PC. Front Wheel Bearing remover?

Greetings gentlemen. I changed the wheel hub/bearing on wife's 2007 Sonata. Those were easy, yank them out and bolt back on. Will be doing the front bearings and don't plan on buying a press. HF sells the 21 pc bearing removing kit for 119 bucks. Maddox 21 pc, The harbor freight version I've tried the local part stores for the free rental but have struck out. I notice lots of similar kits for much cheaper online but am interested in opinions/recommendations here. HF not offering coupons/discounts like they used to.
There are kits on Amazon for as low as 65 bucks. DAYUAN 23pcs FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Puller Removal Hub Removal Bearing Installer Installation Tool Kit
THX

See if you can rent one instead. Where you are the bearings may (or may not) be rusted beyond this type of tools ability but it doesn't hurt to try.
Thread failure is common with inexpensive pulling tools.

Thanks. Yes I tried all three local part stores. No luck, 2 said they didn't carry and the other said "it's currently being borrowed." I figured I'll buy an inexpensive kit and be done with it. I did hear about thread failures being common in these cheap tools. Any link to high grade replacement bolt also appreciated.

This one should fit a lot of the less expensive ones, check the thread size before ordering it. It is used on the OTC grappler.

Thanks! Been doing some research. The HF kit overpriced. For less money the astro pneumatic kit comes with higher grade bolt and nut with more threadings. I just ordered it. 73 bucks vs 119 for HF. This video convinced me.

Youtube: Harbor Freight vs Astro wheel bearing adapter kit

Reactions: JC1
Greetings gentlemen. I changed the wheel hub/bearing on wife's 2007 Sonata. Those were easy, yank them out and bolt back on. Will be doing the front bearings and don't plan on buying a press. HF sells the 21 pc bearing removing kit for 119 bucks. Maddox 21 pc, The harbor freight version I've tried the local part stores for the free rental but have struck out. I notice lots of similar kits for much cheaper online but am interested in opinions/recommendations here. HF not offering coupons/discounts like they used to.
There are kits on Amazon for as low as 65 bucks. DAYUAN 23pcs FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Puller Removal Hub Removal Bearing Installer Installation Tool Kit
THX
i had bought the maddox kit on sale and it works ok. would be really slick if it had a bearing..this type of tool really saves labor!

i had bought the maddox kit on sale and it works ok. would be really slick if it had a bearing..this type of tool really saves labor!

I ordered some thrust ball bearings to use between the washers in the kit. I tried to get the ones in this video but instead taking my chances with some cheaper ones on Amazon.

I did one side of the vehicle this afternoon. The Astro Pneumatic kit made easy work of it. High grade bolt, the bearing came out, and the new one back in effortlessly. Stay away from the HF Maddox version. It's about 47 bucks more and lower quality.

Reactions: JC1
Back