Help with Dex-cool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix with 168,000 miles on it. Will be replacing radiator next weekend because it is leaking. I will also replace radiator hoses and water pump, just because I would rather do it now instead of later. Original radiator, water pump and hoses. I need some advice about antifreeze. Should I stick with Dex-cool or change to a different kind? green, G-05 or another? I have read many good things about G-05 here on this site. Please any advice would be helpful.

I recommend G-05. It cools as well as Dexcool, lasts just as long, but won't eat gaskets or turn to sludge like Dexcool. I've switched quite a few GM's over to this coolant with good results.

It's harder to find than the "all-makes" coolants, though (which are essentially Dexcool of a different color). I've seen G-05 at autozone on occasion. Pep boys, Napa, Carquest, Ford dealerships, and John Deere dealerships carry it... but you won't find the stuff at Walmart.

Get that Dex-Kill out of there.

May want to run it a week on water and flush solution to get out the traces of Dex.

Backflush the system with a Prestone backflush kit, it's the only sure way to get rid of all the Dex Crud. I don't recommend the "extended" flush on these cooling systems, you'll probably end up burning up your waterpump running straight water and flush acid.

I recommend the G-05. I've had very good results.

I have the same question as the OP.

I need to change out the coolant in my '01 Chevy Lumina 3.1 liter.

How about traditional "green" coolant.

The guy at the shop says he changes the Dex-cool out on his personal vehicles and replaces it with regular old green stuff.

Its getting hard to find the regular green stuff guys.

I can only find the all makes stuff, even supertech walmart is now all makes, i'm sure that prestone makes that as well.

I've flushed the dexcool out of my ecotec saturn, put in the supertech all makes, and it has been great for two years.

From what I've heard, there is a difference between to-MAY-to and to-MAH-to in respect to Dex-Kill and the clones. The clones are nowhere near as bad as Dex (which has changed its formula to be less bad) when it comes to eating gaskets.

Recochem is/was the last supplier of regular green around me. I could find it as 'VIP store brand' and "Turbo Power" in a yellow bottle. "recochem" stamped in the plastic bottom.

Green is tough to find.

Advance Auto had some Peak green on the shelf.

My shop that is doing the flush has green though.

I understand that most of the "all vehicles/any color" products are a variation of Dex-cool.

G-05 or Motorcraft Gold. Same thing.

Flush with tap water at least 4 times after it starts coming out clear. Then fill with just distilled water and drive it several miles. Empty it out and dump in 50% of the coolant capacity of G-05 then top the rest with distilled.

Its better to spend lots of time getting it 100% clean and rid of the Dex, before refilling. Don;t short cut this step.

Why not use Prestone backflush kit ? As kingrob said, it is a sure way to get rid of all the coolant in the car and it is so easy to install and use. I had and have Prestone backflush kits in all my car without ever had/have any leak around the flush kit.

Does anybody know if PEAK Global Lifetime coolant is a Dexclone or a G-05 clone or something else? This is a readily available longlife A/F that I've had good results with.

Check out the back label. If it mentions 2EHA (2-ethyl hexonate or something like that... I'm too lazy to google it right now), then it's a Dex-clone. Every single "all-makes" or "univeral" coolant that I've checked out has turned out to be a dexclone. I'd be willing to bet that the same is true of Peak Global Lifetime.

And you'd be nuts to believe the "lifetime" pitch.

Originally Posted By: onion
Check out the back label. If it mentions 2EHA (2-ethyl hexonate or something like that... I'm too lazy to google it right now), then it's a Dex-clone. Every single "all-makes" or "univeral" coolant that I've checked out has turned out to be a dexclone. I'd be willing to bet that the same is true of Peak Global Lifetime.

And you'd be nuts to believe the "lifetime" pitch.

Peak Global Lifetime is what I used just last month to change over to, states right on the website "Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free"

Sounds like more of a G-O5 formula than a Dex-clone.

Good info. Might be some decent stuff, then.

Can't be exactly like G05, as G05 has some silicate.

But just about anything is better than Dexcool, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back