Help with Dell Dimension 4300

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old computer, which my mother-in-law is now using for light internet use, has a virus I couldn't remove. I have the recovery disc to install a clean version of XP but I want to wipe out the previous version of XP that contains the bug before installing the new version. I thought I would come here because I believe I'll get a quick answer and avoid considerable frustration. When I try to hit "format" in windows, it tells me I need to dismount the drive or something similar and it doesn't allow the format. I don't see where in the computer set-up menu that I can get just a plain c: (before windows is loaded) so that I can perform the format process. How can I wipe out the previous version of windows? Thanks in advance.

I tried. If I boot from the recovery CD, it gives me the option of installing a new version of XP or repairing the initial version (by hitting "R" on the screen) There is a place where I could delete the partition, but when I try, it says its unable to because there are set-up files on that partition. I don't see anywhere else where I could delete the initial version of XP when I boot from the recovery disc. What am I missing?

If I am understanding everything correctly, the reason you are getting to that Install New Version or Repair "R" screen is because you are NOT correctly "booting to the recovery CD" as instructed by the original reply. That's OK, as it is easy for this to happen.

I will assume that your computer has two drives, the hard drive and then the CD/DVD drive. Your BIOS most likely is set to boot the hard drive first (bypassing anything that might be in the CD tray). Therefore, you are missing the prompt to start the Recovery Procedure or New Install wiping out the old data.

Reboot your computer and watch the white lettering on the black background closely. You will see instructions to hit something like Delete or F2 (just a guess as various BIOS are different) to SELECT THE BOOT DRIVE. Follow instructions and then tap the appropriate Key to select your CD/DVD for the boot. Have the Recovery CD in that drive. Watch your screen, as it most likely will then say something like "press any key to boot from your CD drive". Do that, and this should now bring you to the correct options to reformat your hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows.

On most Dell computers, you need to hit F12 during the BIOS POST to enter the boot menu. From there, you'll select the option that corresponds to you CD/DVD drive.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
On most Dell computers, you need to hit F12 during the BIOS POST to enter the boot menu. From there, you'll select the option that corresponds to you CD/DVD drive.

Yes, this goes for Toshiba as well.

You may have a Dell restore partition on your HD. It's invisible most of the time, but it's designed to completely restore your OS and all programs originally loaded when the system was new. It's been a long time since I've used one, but I think you have to hit "F11" three times as soon as you hear the post beep. This will bring you to a screen where you have no other option except to completely reload as new. This should take care of your virus, but of course you'll end up with all the Dell bloatware and a version of XP that may be 2 or 3 service packs old.

Originally Posted By: lyle
You may have a Dell restore partition on your HD. It's invisible most of the time, but it's designed to completely restore your OS and all programs originally loaded when the system was new. It's been a long time since I've used one, but I think you have to hit "F11" three times as soon as you hear the post beep. This will bring you to a screen where you have no other option except to completely reload as new. This should take care of your virus, but of course you'll end up with all the Dell bloatware and a version of XP that may be 2 or 3 service packs old.

That's what it sounds like he is already booting from; hence the prompt that he cannot delete the partition because he's running from it.

Unless he hits F11 three times, he is not booting from the restore partition, if one exists.

If booting from the Recovery CD, then the correct partition must be selected for format. It may be that the system will show 2 partitions, one small and one much larger. The smaller one may the setup files and that is why it will not let you format it. The larger partition is the one you want to try and format.

If all else fails, then maybe remove the drive and format it on another compter, and then re-install it as a blank formatted drive. You should have no problems using the Recovery CD then.

Yes, the "simple" recovery procedure. Alienating and confusing End Users since 1994, LOL!

When booting a Windows CD is just that much easier
grin2.gif

ryan:

When you went to delete/format the partition, how many partitions were shown? The smaller of the two is the "recovery" partition. You shouldn't have to do anything with that. Just format the larger "C" partition.

Originally Posted By: Not the Autorx Frank
He is trying to format the partition he is booted from... Select the C: partition and delete then format the unused space.....Install etc....

This is exactly what I had to do. Although, whenever i needed to format the hard drive in the past, I never remember having to delete the partition. I thought I entered "format c:" at a prompt somewhere and it was done. Oh well. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back