Heatshrink Butt Connectors vs Other Options

What ratcheting crimper did you use?
I'll look at the name when I get home but I think I got it years ago from Summit Racing. It's the same one available everywhere. I remember taking a chance from the pictures in the catalog that it was the same as the MSD crimper so I bought all of the MSD jaws for it. They all fit.

What you really want is crimps that crimp on both the wiring and the outer jacket to provide strain relief, and then cover with heat shrink. That is how ALL wiring repairs are done at BMW, and pretty much every auto dealer. Double crimp is also how all the wiring is done at the factory.

maximize-productivity-and-save-costs-with-the-mini-fit-jr-img2.jpg

What you really want is crimps that crimp on both the wiring and the outer jacket to provide strain relief, and then cover with heat shrink. That is how ALL wiring repairs are done at BMW, and pretty much every auto dealer. Double crimp is also how all the wiring is done at the factory.

maximize-productivity-and-save-costs-with-the-mini-fit-jr-img2.jpg
Those are just typical molex pins.

Except it won't be just as good, and in fact you can't do at least 10 in the same amount of time, "maybe" 3:1 in an ideal scenario (more than that and we're back to an inferior connection), but breaking down total time to do a job, you're looking at several minutes to get tools and diagnose/find, or fabricate, then this difference of 3:1 is like 15 seconds versus 45 seconds, a small % of total job time unless you are doing a massive rewiring job with quite a few connections.

If you are doing a massive rewiring job, all the more reason to solder instead so you don't later have tons of crimps to double check if something isn't working right, because you can tell right away if a solder joint didn't do (coat/flow) well but a crimp with oxidized wire, crimps the same even if the connection is electrically poor with high resistance.
maybe I’m slow cutting insulation, slicing, soldering, insulating, heat shrinking, so I know I can do at least 10 crimps for one soldering. Your justification of rewiring is also shaky since I rarely have to do a rewire and would not reuse that portion that was crimped even if I could get it apart. Simply cut wire and recrimp fresh wire. Your method requires finding tools, settin up, taking apart heat shrink,unsoldering, splicing again, soldering again, heat shrinking etc. Still 10 x to redo one. As I said, to each his own and I have no need to argue this any more. Out

Last edited:
crimping vs soldering arguments....
I would think I would have heard every side multiple times by now, and not click, but I cannot help it.

Here's my opinion.
Both have their time and place.
Sometimes one or the other is the better call.
Both can be done correctly, or good enough, or horribly, and there is no shortage of those who have encountered either end and feel ridiculously strongly about their opinions formed from that encounter.

One thing most might not realize, is solder, on a scale of 1 to 100, copper being 100 in terms of conductivity, is only about 15.
So tinning two wires, placeing them side by side then soldering them together, is hardly a low resistance connection, but perhaps the current so low it does not matter.

If twisting two wires together end to end, and two wires side by side, and then soldering them together, is too difficult, I usually crimp.

I dislike insulated connectors, and have bought lots of uninsulated connectors and use 1 or more layers of unequal length adhesive lined heatshrink.
If the wires will vibrate or see potential stress at the end of the crimp, or solder joint, I make sure it cannot flex right there.

Proper crimping can be taken to ridiculous levels, that some might consider just adequate.
Some's 'good enough' would be laughed right out of the cockpit by those with higher standards.

Here's two good articles on the subject:

Good point regarding tinning wires and then soldering. Thanks

Ancor makes high quality products for the boating industry. They make some double crimp connectors which are the best in my mind. But requires a special double crimper.

On cars and trailers I often use a normal Ancor connector and paint the exposed ends with liquid tape. (Color matching of course.)

I once thought soldered connections are best. However, in talking to friends that run cars at the strip, it appears soldered cant take the severe vibrations under race conditions. They all use crimped connections.
Just curious, if a wire has been properly soldered, and you cannot pull it apart with your hands. Wouldn't that be consider good enough?

^ That is good enough but what ends up happening is they didn't keep the wire from vibrating nor use sufficient heatshrink tubing so the wire flexes most right at the end of the solder wetted joint and eventually suffers fatigue. This is not a problem with "soldering" instead, rather not doing it correctly.

You can also splice and have same fatigue situation right after that rigid connection, but people are funny in how they classify what went wrong instead of focusing on details. Even with a wire that is whole, not soldered or crimped, you don't want any one segment subject to excessive flexing but when you introduce a rigid section it tends to flex that much more at one or the other (of not both) ends of that rigid connection. This is a situation where finer, higher strand count wire would be an improvement but we're just taking about using bog standard wire that's already there, I would assume...

Back