Heat exchanger pics

Everyone posts pics of their valve train or oil filter cut open. So here are a couple of pictures of a Volvo Penta heat exchanger.
PXL_20230416_180804172.jpg
PXL_20230416_180746655.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you planning on getting it clean?
Well my initial plan was to pull the heat exchanger, bring it to a radiator shop that would clean and test it. But when I opened the end cap it looked a lot cleaner than I expected. I am going to use a brush and vacuum and clean off the one section. But I don't think it will cause problem even if I leave it the way it is.

Another option is to pump Barnacle Buster through the heat exchanger for an hour or two.

Looks like copper tubes, steel tube sheets with the tubes are rolled into the sheets. There made like watercooled condensers on larger tonage ac equipment. We use a small acid pump to circulate acid through the tubes to clean them. First we brush the tubes with a nylon tube brush with water that cleans the mud out of them then use the acid. How long is the bundle? Tubes look like 1/2"? How much room is there in front of the bundle? The tube sheet is it pitted?

anyone notice the steel support is a peace symbol?

Bore brush. Radiator shop hot tank

Then can you pressure test for leaks

We use a steam lance to clean out the tubes on the coolers/exchangers at work. You could use a pressure washer.

We plug off blown tubes with what are essentially metallic corks until the coolers get so bad we have to replace the bundle or the whole thing,

anyone notice the steel support is a peace symbol?

Bore brush. Radiator shop hot tank

Then can you pressure test for leaks
I was told the radiator shops (at least in Delaware) don't have the same kind of hot tanks they had 20 or 30 years ago for copper/brass radiators. The state inspectors won't allow them.

Back