HDTV recording options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepfather asked how he could record programs. He has an HDTV hooked up to antenna. Gets great picture quality. Currently he has a VCR. It looks like you could do that with a converter box, but picture quality would suffer. Looked at DVD recorders and HHD recorders with DVD. My head is spinning...My stepfather needs simple. He is starting to forget new information. Less cost is better. I am not sure those two will go together?

See if you can find a MAGNAVOX H2160MW9 HDD & DVD RECORDER W/ DIGITAL TUNER. I had one for a little while and it worked pretty good. I got it at Walmart.

Yeah, I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. Using over-the-air and recording shows using an old VCR. The Magnavox worked well as a DVR and also served as my DVD player. The only reason I got rid of it was because I stepped up to a more capable infrastructure (also more complicated) that consists of a Windows 7 PC with a dual-tuner TV tuner card and an Xbox 360 connected that acts as a Media Center extender.

Talking about Media Center, does anybody know if latest service pack of Vista supports clear QAM ?

I know this is not what you want, but a Direct TV DVR is about the easiest way to do it. It's built right in, easy to use and semi automatic.

I've tried the local cable company's offering and it's no where near as good as the Direct TV setup.

I'm quite pleased with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back