Have enough gasoline for your generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
55 gallons of 93 octane treated with StaBil stored in 22 two and a half gallon red plastic gas cans. Picked them up at wall-mart for about $5.50 a piece a few years ago before the latest more expensive new gas nozzle cans came out.

Two gen-sets:

1) For the summer: Coleman Powermate 5000/6250 with 10 HP Tecumseh HM -100 engine can run the whole house AC on hot summer days. Drinks about 5 gallons in 7 hours. I only store about 20 gallons in the summer, because if there is ever a major power problem in the summer, the roads would still be usable to drive somewhere for more gasoline.

2) For the winter: Generac IX 2000 inverter with a homemade set-up consisting of a gas cap from Lowes, with a hole drilled in middle with a step drill because step drills drill plastic cleanly, 1/4 ID gas line from Advance Auto because the OD fits the hole in the gas cap snug enough to not loose siphon (NAPA 1/4 ID gas hose is too skinny on the OD to get good seal on the hole in the gas cap, (home made gas cap washer made of rubber gasket material that can handle exposure to gasoline), low cost brass tank fittings from McMaster-Carr on a 5 gallon wall-mart red plastic gas can. This inverter gen-set gets about 4.5 hours per gallon. So with one gallon in the generators gas tank, and 5 gallons connected external, it should run about 27 hours before it requires gas.

With 55 gallons, the 2000 watt inverter should be good for about 247.5 hours or 10.3 days. That should be plenty enough time for the local road crews to get the roads cleared enough to be able to drive somewhere for gas if a major ice storm were to knock out power.

I use GC in both so the oil consumption should be low enough that they do not trip out on low oil during a couple of days of running, but I check oil level each gasoline fill.

I have a relay with DPDT 30 Amp contacts rigged with both NC contacts wired in parallel to act as one very reliable NC contact, and that is wired in series with the power wire to the fridge. The relays coil is wired to one pole of a small DPDT toggle switch and then to the furnace blower motor. So that when the toggle switch is thrown every time the furnace blower motor comes on, the relay energizes and the NC contacts of the relay open so as to open the power run to the fridge. The other side of the toggle switch is wired to red indicator light and that gets power from the fridge breaker. So that when the toggle switch is enabling this circuit the red light lights to remind you that it is enabled, and when the furnace blower motor runs the relay NC contacts open the power run to the fridge so the 2000 watt inverter generator never has to supply power to both the fridge and the furnace at the same time, but both still get power, with the furnace getting priority.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Do you really expect the utilities to keep all those unnecessary people on the payroll for something that's supposed to happen every 100 years?

Yes.

We've had three so called "hundred year" storm/floods in the past three years and JCP+L now wants a rate increase.

And if you want to keep all those extra people full-time expect another increase.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Honda EU2000i will do the job great & uses very little gas. this will run my pellet stove, fridge, Tv & Dvd player.

I have one of these. It got us through 9 days without power. I was able to run my furnace and refrig a light(CFL) and radio and charge multiple cell/laptops. Cable was out or it could have run that too. It only burned 1-2 gallons a day. I am thinking of getting it converted to run on three fuels. That might be a nice feature to have Great little generator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Honda EU2000i will do the job great & uses very little gas. this will run my pellet stove, fridge, Tv & Dvd player.

I have an eu2000i as well, 2006 vintage and it ran our fridge, central gas baseboard-water heat, kitchen CFL lights, bedroom CFL lights, little TV, etc. without missing a beat. Had to shut everything else off to run Mr. Coffee @ 1500W but otherwise no manual load management was needed. Gotta have the coffee!

6-circuit Reliance transfer switch was installed after the October 2011 snowstorm and 4-day power outage...it really helped this year's 11.5 day outage much less traumatic. Just connect the little eu2000i to the transfer switch (both hot circuits joined in the cable pigtail as the Honda only makes 1 phase) and throw the 6 toggle switches from "line" to "gen".

2.5 to 3 gallons of gas per day running 10-12 hours, shutting down and storing at bedtime.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Jim -

I'm curious. How/where do you store the 2 drums ?

What two drums?

I have 22, "two and a half gallon jugs".

Normally I keep them in a 4 car garage that happens to be built into a hill side, and is not next to any house.

When a major storm is due, they get moved closer to the house, because that garage can be snowed in very bad.

In the spring I use up the 55 gallons of winter gas, by putting it into our vehicles. Then I store 20 gallons of summer gas in 8 of the two and a half gallon jugs.

In the fall I use up the 20 gallons of summer gas, by putting it into our vehicles, and then store 55 gallons of winter gas in 22, two and a half gallon jugs.

I add one ounce of red StaBil to each 2.5 gallon gas jug just before I put the gas in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Donald
If you are not a city slicker and have a well pump, the minimum should be 5000W continuous. A 3/4 HP will need more like 7500W continuous.

Do they not put a soft starter on these pumps? That is enormous.

1 hp is 1380W or so. So a 3/4 hp motor is maybe 1kW of load.

I can understand that the inrush might be >10:1 on a current basis, but do they not sell, optimally, a basement or breaker box-mounted capacitor to provide some ride through? Especially for something like this, it would seem to me to be a no brainer...

If it could soft start, one might even be able to rig up a 240V inverter and run it off of a modern car 150A alternator... in a pinch.

I upgraded my pump from 1/2 HP to a 3/4 HP and when I tried to kick the pump on I had to turn off almost everything else in my house. Its was a Coleman Powermate 5000/6600.

These are capacitor start motors. But the capacitor can be in the house (control box) or in the pump. Much less starting current if its in the control box. Two power wires to the pump indicate the capacitors are in the pump. Three power wires to the pump means they are in the control box. I am thinking there may be a starter winding and a regular winding.

I am suggesting people to measure everything they are going to power with a digital ammeter (peak hold). Good time to switch lights to CFLs. They can add up. The meter is I think $12 at HF. But you need the more expensive one to get peak hold.

+1 on using a digital Amp meter with peak hold. Also if the meter only goes to 10 Amps you might have to build a shunt (a length of 10 Gauge solid copper wire will work well) and figure out what the division ratio is (what you have to multiply the reading by to get an accurate reading) by first looking a load near the maximum (near 10 Amps) and then see what that same load reads with the shunt. So you can get an accurate reading for items that draw more than 10 Amps. Just be sure that the connections to the shunt are very good and constant. You might want to rig a special set of leads soldered to the shunt, with one set for the meter, and another set for the actual connection into the circuit. If these leads are similar in length and appearance you might want to label them "to meter Amp circuit" and " to splice in circuit under test". So you do not switch them and possibly throw off the calibration.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
[+1 on using a digital Amp meter with peak hold. Also if the meter only goes to 10 Amps you might have to build a shunt (a length of 10 Gauge solid copper wire will work well) and figure out what the division ratio is (what you have to multiply the reading by to get an accurate reading) by first looking a load near the maximum (near 10 Amps) and then see what that same load reads with the shunt. So you can get an accurate reading for items that draw more than 10 Amps. Just be sure that the connections to the shunt are very good and constant. You might want to rig a special set of leads soldered to the shunt, with one set for the meter, and another set for the actual connection into the circuit. If these leads are similar in length and appearance you might want to label them "to meter Amp circuit" and " to splice in circuit under test". So you do not switch them and possibly throw off the calibration.

I believe you can call Franklin with the pump model # and ask for the start up wattage.

Originally Posted By: callbay
A couple of friends of mine have bought large portable gasoline generators for power outages. I got the model number for one of them and looked on line for the fuel usage. It uses 30 gallons a day. For a week that would be 42 five gallan cans of gas.

My point is most people have no idea how much gas their generators use and will be in for a rude awakening if they have a long power outage. Most guys have just a few five gallon cans and the gas stations loose power also in an outage and bad roads can make it impossible to get more fuel.

I just looked up a couple of models of portable gasoline generators. At only 50% power an 8,000 watt model used 9 gallons in 10 hours and a 6,500 watt model used 9 gallons every 11 hours.

I also just read about after one of the recent hurricanes the natural gas was turned off in a lot of places to prevent fires so natural gas powerd generators might not always work.

Maybe the best solution is LP gas in your own tank. One of our generators is a 10HP Coleman and a few years ago I bought a kit to change it over so it can run LP or gasoline. It works great on LP.

Any thoughts, guys?

1 Gallon of gasoline = 120,000 BTU's

100 Gallons of Propane = 9,151,000 BTU's = the same heat energy as 76.25 Gallons of gasoline.

However an engine with a compression ratio for gasoline will not produce full power when ran on propane.

So how long would your generator run on 76.25 gallons of gasoline, because that is about how long it will run off of 100 gallons of propane, though it will not produce full power, so expect it to only be able produce about 80 percent of rated watts.

Last edited:
For the generator that uses about 30 gallons a day, 100 gallons of propane would run it for about 2.5 days, and again the maximum it would be able to produce would be about 80 percent of what it could make when ran on gasoline, unless it had the compression ratio modified for propane, and I am not sure, but the displacement may have to be increased to make the same power as the gasoline engine on gasoline.

An engine set up for gasoline should produce at or near full power on propane if tuned correctly, but only about 80% on CNG (don't remember exactly why).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back