Harbor Freight Drop Light Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new drop light as the one I have is an old style incandescent that keeps burning the bulbs at the slightest jarring.

I've sort of settled on getting it from HF as I have all manner of 20% off coopins. Posted below is the link to the page with the HF drop lights I'm considering. There's two flourescent, slimline $19.99 and a $12.99. And, two rechargable LED for $24.99 and $26.99. Like to know what you think.

I'd like to keep this non-political, so if you oppose HF just don't post, thanks. If you have another suggestion elsewhere at a reasonable cost, I'd look at that too.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=drop+light&Submit=Go

TIA

I have a rechargable LED drop light from HF, it isn't the brightest, isn't the most practical.. the switch is on the base, but when I lay it on the ground and it rolls, the light switch gets activated, usually to the OFF position.
It's not a bad light, but I think I'd rather have one with more LED's to light things up with. It does have its uses and I do use it when I can't drag an electrical cord out.

I have one like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46114

And I do not think it is bright at all. I had the old style, like the first one on the page, and that has lasted for some reason, it gets banged around a bit, but only one time did it blow out. That was also because the light too was in for about 2 years. I also have a red craftsman one too, and that thing is like a tiny flashlight for some reason, there is no light at all from it. I stick with my normal drop ligth with bulb.

I have used the flourescent lights like the yellow and orange ones on the HF site for many years. I bought a similar light from the Mac Tools man in 1987 and it finally blew the bulb this past Spring.

I have a less expensive model light I bought at Big Lots this year, plus I replaced the bulb in my Mac Tools light last month when I finally found a store that sold the 13 watt bulb for it. Both lights work just fine. I like the hooks they have so I can hang it out of the way when I need to use it.

Either one of the flourescent models from HF should work well and last a long time. I don't like the LED style lights. Their light is too blue colored for me and causes too much glare off the lenses in my eyeglasses.

I have old style incandescent drop light but I use 100W equivalent CFL(Compact Fluorescent Light) bulb without burn out for 5+ years.

I've got one of the flourscent bulb ones and its not bright at all. Used my mechanics rechargable LED light the other day when I was there and I really liked it, now it wasn't a Harbor Freight, but probably cost a whole lot more also. I see they've moved the switch so that problem seems to resolved. Also 24 LED bulbs should but out more than enough light if the battery is charged.

Sounds like the flourescents (at least HF) are not very bright, and perhaps I should still consider another incandescent type?

Do the LED bulbs ever burn out? For the amount I use one, I don't need a super duty, just something with decent light and some durabilty. The one I have now is old and I think that might explain why the bulbs blow so easily.

Thanks for the responses so far, anyone with some other information, input is still welcome.

Do the bulbs ever burn out? Well nothing lasts forever, but LED's usually have a life in the thousands of hours, some claim 100,000 hours. As the battery looses charge instead of all the LED's getting dimmer, one will go out here and there.

Just noted something, O'Rielly has an 80 bulb rechargable on sale for $35.00. Check it out if you have that chain near you.

try putting A CFL in the one you have now.
as long as you dont physically break the bulb it should last for years..

a 100watt bulb(using 20-23watts of power) cost about 2-3$

thats what I put in my drop light i kept in the truck for offroading..

the offroading kept killing the incandescent bulbs at inconvenient times.. and I wouldnt have a light for repairs on someones beater offroad rig

I have to agree a CFL in a conventional drop light for now. I have used various flouresent drop lights for over 30 years. I had to give up one of the best when I couldn't find the right bulb anymore. Give the LED's a few more years to drop in price. I think they will eventually take over the lighting market.

I use GE Rough Service bulbs in my drop lights. They have extra support for the filaments so they withstand shock better than regular bulbs.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I use GE Rough Service bulbs in my drop lights. They have extra support for the filaments so they withstand shock better than regular bulbs.

Rough service bulbs are the solution to your original answer but LED or florescent lights are better and don't get hot.

Looks like a new conventional with a CFL is worth considering, and not expensive. Having never used a cfl I'm assuming it will fit with no issues? I think my current conventional may have an internal wiring issue, need a new one anyway.

Didn't mean to sound ignorant asking about the LED's burning out, just never had one so I wondered about their longevity. Looked at the one in O'Reilly's, they actually had a couple, an 80 and a 30 bulb, maybe in the future.

OMG use a CFL for a trouble light? Never, never think what might happen if you dropped it and the bulb broke, having to call in the hazmet team to do a total cleanup. Not cost effective at all. Mercy me this could cause damage to our enviroment so far reaching, global warming will be put on the back burner and of no consequense.

Now then I've got to go hug a tree!!

Just an update. In deference to jcwit I decided to give an HF LED a shot. I got the one pictured below. It was on special for ~ $20 plus I used a 20% off coopin. I had to take the first one back because the charger wire was messed up. Second one fine. Has lo/hi settings, magnetic base, and seems to provide good bright white light. So far, I like it.

fwiw, I also bought my first CFL's at Wally World to try on my old conventional. It works, but not nearly as bright, will see how jar proof it is. Now, pardon me while I go hug a tree.
lol.gif

94668.gif

I have one like that from B&G discount which is similiar to Harbor Freight, but generally will find slightly better "stuff". Same light but made by MIT (Michigan Industry Tech, or MADE IN TAWIAN!). My dad has one, and it works great. Mine doesn't like to hold a charge :*(

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I have one like that from B&G discount which is similiar to Harbor Freight, but generally will find slightly better "stuff". Same light but made by MIT (Michigan Industry Tech, or MADE IN TAWIAN!). My dad has one, and it works great. Mine doesn't like to hold a charge :*(

FWIW, I just tossed a set of MIT hex keys in the trash. No 9/64" wrench - the size for common 8-32 SHCS.

They were in the closeout bin at Kragen for $5. I bought them to use at work so my Bondhaus set wouldn't keep mysteriously walking away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back