Handheld gps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a new handheld gps.

I bought an etrex (the most basic one) about 4 years ago. I still came with a serial cable that is buggy as heck. I use it mostly for work , with a bit of fun on the side.

I usually use g7towin to upload tons of points from my pc and go navigate on site to those points.

It's glue for the rubber surround is coming undone, and frankly, it is a very "old" package, but very reliable.

I have a bit more fun/exploring in mind for my next handheld.

They have recently released a new series of etrex - 10, 20, 30 , with progressively better specs.

There is also the Montana 650t which looks like a cracker but would be $730 here compared to maybe $280 for the etrex 30 (I think I'll go for a barometer this time).

The Montana and etrex 30 can come with topographic maps which is great. The Montana also has driving maps which makes for good multiple tasking. My roadie is getting a bit long in the tooth as well. Also has a camera.
Lots of $ though.
Any thoughts?

well so far I am undecided between

Etrex 30
Montana 650t
Magellan 710.

Magellan comes with topo and routing for roads, otherwise has similar functionality to the montana. I am however infamiliar with magellan products, and have read a fair few negative things about their after sales.

the etrex 30 comes without maps, and to add the mapping to the level of the 710 would add $400 to the price, but I can omit the road maps and only go with the topo maps, as I have an 08 road navigator. and later update tot he road maps.

the montana 650t is about the same price as the 710, but comes wihtout road mapos which would add another $200 for australia.

At the moment the etrex with topo maps added in looks good and cost effective. I am not sure that touch screens with the 710 and 650t are a good idea for outdoor/dirt use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back