Griot's Garage Spray On Car Wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's no secret that I like GG products - Richard Griot has developed a product line that works and, even if you try, you can't mess up. His products are safe to use, even for idiots like myself. People like me have made him very weathy (Roundel Magazine just did a story on him - believe me, for him, life is good).

I strayed from his products by using Wet Paint Glaze and it is a terrific product for cleaning a soiled car. I have my reasons for using a waterless car cleaning product, the biggest being my wife's Chevy Tahoe. I'm 56 now, and the idea of washing and waxing 15 million acres of sheet metal just doesn't appeal to me any longer. I also have a 330ci, a Mazdaspeed 3 and a Miata to care for too, but the smaller cars are easy to wash and wax. I still use WPG on them from time to time but primarily they get washed and waxed the old fashioned way.

When the GG catalogue came with his Spray On Car Wash I jumped at the chance to try it. As far as I can tell, he develops all the car care products he sells in house (please tell me if he doesn't) and I felt comfortable ordering his SOCW kit. I comes with a sprayer, a 35 oz bottle of the product and four of what have got to be the finest microfiber towels made. They are very plush and deep napped.

The product itself looks quite a bit like his Speed Shine, but it is very different from the SS product. It has a slight coconut smell and is very liquid (not thick). It is an opaque green color. According to Griot, using this product with the ultra thick towels will keep your paint from being scratched, while cleaning the car and leaving a nice shine behind.

Well, in typical Griot's fashion, he has delivered another great car care product. I tried it on her 15 million acres of black painted sheet metal Tahoe and the results were very,very good. The car had not been cleaned for 2 weeks of driving in no rain days and was repleat with road dust, grime, bugs and the occasional puddle splatter. Prior to cleaning, this 2008 auto was a good 35 foot car!

The product should be lightly sprayed on and if done correctly it will not run down the panel you are working. The deep microfiber towel picks up all the trash pretty much on the first wipe. After picking up the trash, flip the towel over and wipe again, and viola! clean shiny paint. I did the car in 35 minutes and it looked great! I plan on this car getting a traditional washing once a month and shored up in between washings with The GG Spray On Car Wash. The only way it won't happen is if, here in Houston, the weather treats us to the weeks on end of sloppy, rainy weather - then I will eek out a wash job to keep the car presentable.

I really like the way the SOCW removes bugs; that's the one thing that Wet Paint Glaze won't do. Also, the the SOCW appears to leave a wax of some sort behind as the car sheds water like crazy - I hit it with the hose while washing the Bimmer and the Tahoe beads up like a good wax job.

The microfiber towels launder very well and in fact don't even appear to have been used after washing and drying - and they were filthy when they went in and looked new when they came out.

Well there you have it, my review of the newest waterless car wash product on the market - I plan to get 4 more towels and buy this stuff by the gallon - I like it that much.

Cheers all! DV

I agree. I use all GG products exclusively....for about 8 years now. Too me, there is none better.

The idea is the same and the color looks exactly like Poorboy's Spray & Wipe rinseless car wash. I have used it for many years (along with Wet Paint Glaze)and both provide excellent results. Wonder if it's relabeled Poorboy's? Not that it matters as long as it works well.

I'm glad you mentioned that - there are times that I have wondered if some of his stuff was repackaged. I guess it doesn't matter; you can bet yout booties he has tested the heck out of it before rebranding it as his.

I have yet to see anywhere someone posting that a Griots Garage product ruined their car. I have seen some of the professional detailers (ie sucessful detailing experts who do car detailing for living) complain that GG polishing products take too long to get results. I guess that's because they are mild and work slowly so the weekend detailer gets good results without any danger - who cares if it takes all day?

If you go to Autopia.com or sites like it (where the hardcore detailers hang out) there is discussion of wool bonnets and polishing direct drive at 1800 rpm etc.
Man, if I were to try some of the stuff they do I'd probably burn right through the metal!!!
I used my GG car wash, clay, polisher and polish and wax on my 330ci when it only had 60k miles on it and after 8 hours I had a new car on my hands (excepting stone chips, naturally).

And don't forget, on GG tools he has a lifetime guarantee.

Cheers all! DV

I am lucky , I live about 5 miles from Griots in Tacoma..if I find something I like I just drive down there.
Heck in the last catalog, anyone see the silent car alarm that pages/ texts and emails you that your car has moved more then 2 feet...then you can track it via GPS on the web..price 399.00 not bad

Griots, as are many others, are aimed at the consumer not the pro. I find their items quite expensive compared to others.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Griots, as are many others, are aimed at the consumer not the pro. I find their items quite expensive compared to others.

The waxes are priced right, but yeah some of the other stuff is on the high side esp when you add shipping. But the products are good - the interior protectant is silicone free and won't damage plastic trim or make it brittle like armor all will over time plus the gloss is just right. The only thing that I ever got from GG that was total junk was his glass cleaner. Don't waste your money there. Even using his lint free glass cloths it was awful and streaked fast. I use the aresol invisible glass now and it works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back