grease gun hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lady at NAPA told me a disaster story where a guy using a pneumatic grease gun had the hose go forcing grease below the skin of his hand requiring the doctor to cut open his hand to remove the grease.

The hose on my HF gun (its lasted many years) just developed a hole and I need a new hose. Mine just slowly pushed out grease for a minute. The HF hose is $2.99, others can be $40.

Last edited:
I know a diesel injector can inject through the skin but i never heard this with a grease gun. I have had hoses let go and its just a mess.
It seems like it would more than likely push your hand away from the grease before injecting it.

I'm skeptical of this one.

A good reminder. My understanding is any through-the-skin injection (grease, oil, whatever), typically from high pressure, warrants an immediate trip to the emergency room. Something not to fool around with.

On my air powered grease gun the only thing I'll use is the metal delivery tube. On a hand operated grease gun I'll use the flexible whip, but not on a powered gun.

There's a guy a couple of miles from me who lost his right arm because a hydraulic hose burst on his farm tractor. The oil shot into his arm and the doctors couldn't save it. Now granted, your typical grease gun hose probably won't be as life-threatening as this, but it's nothing to fool around with. Open an operator's book that involves hydraulic or petroleum-based products under pressure and you will read all kinds of warnings about going to the doctor when hydraulic oil is shot under the skin.
If you've got just a small pump grease gun, your HF hose will be fine. Anything with air pressure behind it and I wouldn't replace it with a cheap hose.

We've had hydraulics let go before and the resulting spray cut the surrounding metal like butter. That's only 3000 psi

Last edited:
I have recently bought 2 new flex hoses. One says 10000 working PSI. But it also says for manual grease guns, and does not mention pneumatic or cordless. So what is the real deal here? I thought the pneumatic ones were 6000 PSI max and manual ones were around 2000 PSI.

Again the hose says "working pressure" not "max" or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back