Gray Deposits in Exxon Elite !!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

RESIDUE FOUND IN SOME OIL IS BENIGN, EXXON SAYS
ExxonMobil officials have received reports from customers about light gray deposits on the bottom of some quart bottles of Exxon Aviation Oil Elite 20W-50. Exxon said that the residue level in the pre-September 2002 batch is much less than the residue found in an April 2002 batch; both of
which are benign. An independent study by AOPA confirmed the results of the earlier batch. Exxon said that it has made changes to its manufacturing process and has not found any such residue in products packaged after September 1, 2002. Because the oil meets all industry standards, Exxon said it can be used as intended and there is no need to return it. Exxon provides more details in a letter to its customers. See the company's Web site(http://www.exxonelite.com/ ) and click on "news."

Exxon calls the the stuff "benign metallic residue"??? I wonder if it's really benign?

[ August 22, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: TheLoneRanger ]

Why is Exxonelite always in the news?
One comment I heard from a COPA member when I asked him about Exxon piston engine oils, was that he did not like climbing out on to branches that are still vibrating.
If you don't like heights or excitement, why fly at all?
dunno.gif

there isn't any such thing as benign metalic residue in MY engine.

i don't particularly like heights, and after 2 fires, 1 engine failure (all in actual IFR), 1 icing incident and a nav failure at night, i do not fly for excitement. i love dull flying.

I work with a fleet that has 68 twins running Elite and the Elite has performed incredibly well. The fleet has amassed something over 18,000 hours on Elite and all the benefits one reads in the newspring has indeed taken place. Reduced corrosion, much cleaner engines, less cam spalling, in fact totally eliminated in some engines, reduced oil consumption compared with the Aeroshell 15W-40 they switched from. Moreover, absolutely no negatives from residue; frankly, none of the mechanics have ever seen it!
George

Just guessing here, but benign metallic residue could be something like an aluminum powder from new pipes, left over brass dust from heat exchanger fittings/attachements, etc.

I have seen some dyes that left a metallic-looking residue when the product was left to sit for a few years, but other than an insoluble particle count in an analysis, it shouldn't be a factor as to lubricant ability.

Looks to me like they, Mobil, warned everyone in April 2002 that there was residue even before the AOPA took action.

Could it be the "Shell Answer Man" may have helped to amplify the non-problem?

[ September 12, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back