Gravely Throws Belts

Been offered Gravely 48" 0 turn mower. 3 years old? Throws belt when engaging mower deck. Owners took it to dealer several times to have wedged thrown belt removed and replaced. Were told throws belt because of design flaw and they should buy the new improved model. I don't want it even for free if problematic. Maybe the wrong belt is being put on it? What is the correct belt?
Model 991082 Serial # 061358.

Owner did Internet search showing lots of them w/ same problem.

There could be any number of reasons for the belt coming off of the spindles.
One or more spindles could be bad.
A pulley could be bad.
Pulley alignment could be off.
Pulley could be worn or have nicks in it.
It could have the wrong belt.
The tension spring could be weak.
Not engaging the PTO at full throttle.

B2C7165A-A9C9-44AD-BC59-A36DE6B5E52A.jpg

Been offered Gravely 48" 0 turn mower. 3 years old? Throws belt when engaging mower deck. Owners took it to dealer several times to have wedged thrown belt removed and replaced. Were told throws belt because of design flaw and they should buy the new improved model. I don't want it even for free if problematic. Maybe the wrong belt is being put on it? What is the correct belt?
Model 991082 Serial # 061358.

Owner did Internet search showing lots of them w/ same problem.
Get on it fire it up and put the throttle towards the low setting and if it has manual blade engagement move the lever slowly otherwise pull the electric PTO switch. Then speed up the throttle all the way to mow. While this may work there of course might lie the issue still.

Ariens/Gravely states to engage the PTO at full throttle.
I had a Toro zero turn that would sometimes throw the belt. I discovered that lowering the lowering the deck to the desired cutting position and then engaging the PTO solved that problem.
Inspecting all of the pulleys, spindles, belts and tension springs would be the first thing to do.

My Husqvarna will throw the drive belt if the electric deck clutch is engaged while the mower is in motion. Once I learned to stop or be on a slow roll when engaging I never had anymore issues. Just one of the many little things I must do to keep this delicate POF going.

Ariens/Gravely states to engage the PTO at full throttle.
I had a Toro zero turn that would sometimes throw the belt. I discovered that lowering the lowering the deck to the desired cutting position and then engaging the PTO solved that problem.
Inspecting all of the pulleys, spindles, belts and tension springs would be the first thing to do.
I agree with your suggestion. When the deck is raised, the pulleys are probably out of line. Belts can only tolerate so much misalignment.

Heard about design flaw or is that just salesman BS?
Usually if it is a design flaw there is a bulletin like mentioned above, or at least lots of info on the forums for a proper remedy of the issue. I've seen SO many machines where the dealership can't or doesn't want to figure out the problem so they instead advise the customer to buy something they have in the showroom.

Back