Goodyear to develop self inflating tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading the release for Goodyear's system, I wondered what advantage this would have over fully conveying the output of any TPMS sensor currently in use - rather than simply throwing an idiot light on the IP. Then it occurred to me that anyone who would actually see any benefit from the fix-it-myself tire inflator would likely ignore a readout of tire pressure and temperature provided by the vehicle.

As a slight tangent off topic, does anyone agree with me that one of the biggest detriments to effective deployment of TPMS was the systems that GM (and possibly other manufacturers) used that would throw a warning that couldn't be easily cleared by re-inflating the tire? People got used to ignoring the 'Low Tire Pressure' warning on their IPs, and thus are more likely to ignore the modern fault indicator used by TPMS?

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The main component will probably be a burrito.

lol.gif

then tires will start making coffee, take your dog for a walk. And then movie Rubber will become reality
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dla
Goodyear announced today that they are developing a self inflating tire. More details about the new technology can found on their webiste at this link.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/corporate/media/news/story.cfm?a_id=559

I did not see any details in the article about the technology. Are the tires self inflating or is it in the wheel? My guess is its complicated and expensive, otherwise it would have been done a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
then tires will start making coffee, take your dog for a walk. And then movie Rubber will become reality
smile.gif

whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Burt
Goodyear announced today that they are developing a self inflating tire. More details about the new technology can found on their webiste at this link.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/corporate/media/news/story.cfm?a_id=559

I did not see any details in the article about the technology. Are the tires self inflating or is it in the wheel? My guess is its complicated and expensive, otherwise it would have been done a long time ago.

I didn't catch details in the release either, other then the small pump thing.

However, I think, THINK, that it shouldn't be too big of a step in innovation. TPMS are already here, if they could use the standard TPMS to activate a switch for the pump then it should work, I have a feeling that we'll see valvestem-less tires though. Instead of a valve stem we'll see a what is essentially a valve stem but this would be the source of air for the pump.

The tires would have to be integrated into TPMS though that way people could still have free range of tire selection for their vehicles and simple calibration upon installation would tell the pump in the tire what PSI is required.

Again all of this is just an assumption and we all know what they say about assumptions.

Do we really need our cars to be this complicated? Think of the initial cost and cost of repair when it needs fixing, plus how much more difficult it'll be to work around the system.

I have an idea - how about if we check our tires periodically. The exercise of stooping down to check will do us some good.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Do we really need our cars to be this complicated? Think of the initial cost and cost of repair when it needs fixing, plus how much more difficult it'll be to work around the system.

I have an idea - how about if we check our tires periodically. The exercise of stooping down to check will do us some good.

I could not agree more. I find it funny, each car that I have bought lately is older than the last, and I love the lack of technology in each of them.

TPMS isn't so bad, but is it really that hard to check air pressure? I guess you could argue, "well, why bother having a gas guage, then?" Dunno.

robert

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Goodyear announced today

I didn't catch details in the release either, other then the small pump thing.

However, I think, THINK, that it shouldn't be too big of a step in innovation. TPMS are already here, if they could use the standard TPMS to activate a switch for the pump then it should work, I have a feeling that we'll see valvestem-less tires though. Instead of a valve stem we'll see a what is essentially a valve stem but this would be the source of air for the pump.

Is the pump inside the wheel? how do you get air and electricity to the spinning wheel and keep the wheel balanced. If the pump is outside the wheel, how do you get air into a sealed, spinning tire?

TPMS's are enough of a pain and I hear numerous reports of technicians damaging them and replacement costs are high relative to the benefit.

Goodyear has been known for innovating things for decades. On the 1962 Rambler Classic and Ambassador 8 passenger station wagons, they came with a Goodyear tire that had a 2nd air chamber built into the tire, so if the tire got punctured, it wouldn't go flat for a long time. The 8 passenger wagons didn't come with spare tires as standard equipment. I remember the Goodyear run flat tires back in the 1990s. Goodyear is known for manufacturing their tires here mostly. I noticed plenty of shredded treads on Southern California Freeways over the past 10 years...I wonder how many of them were made overseas. I've rarely had a Goodyear tire shred on me. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

I agree with you in theory.

But in reality, we both know that the consumer who doesn't bother or cant be bothered is the problem. The same people who run their cars on low/no oil, or barrel down the highway on two or three obviously under inflated tires are the problem. Solve them and everyone can go back to engineering for the concientous among us...lol. Instead of trying to protect the lowest common denominator.

Is the pump inside the wheel? how do you get air and electricity to the spinning wheel and keep the wheel balanced. If the pump is outside the wheel, how do you get air into a sealed, spinning tire?

TPMS's are enough of a pain and I hear numerous reports of technicians damaging them and replacement costs are high relative to the benefit.

It has been done on the military vehicles for years, from smaller vehicles to full size trucks and APCs. Lower pressure for snow/sand, higher pressure for on-road travel. I can see benefits in a specialized application like this, but not in the civilian market.

It's an example of technology introduced for technology's sake, and not because there's a ravenous demand for it.

This could be easier/more practical than we think.. no electricity required, per the weblink...

A tire pounds and bounces down the road, watch the cars next to you. This bouncing could easily power a very small pump.... remember the self winding watch and its eccentric weight.

I doubt the pump would ever "pump up" a flat tire, but rather add a pound or two each trip.... as required... to maintain the perfect pressure. Bad leaks would no doubt still result in a flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back