Goodyear 245/60R18

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does goodyear make 2 versions of the Fortera HL in blackwall? The OE on a 08 GMC envoy denali is this tire with a load index of 104 (1984 lbs max load). They also make the tire with a 105 load index(2039 lbs max load) for a few dollars more. And finnally they make a white letter with a 105 load index for 30 dollars less per tire, why?

Last edited:
Are they different speed ratings? If so, this is typical.

Here is all info on those tires (I only found 2 on tirerack.com):

245/60R18
Load Index 105 = 2039lbs (925kg) per tire
Speed Rating “S” = 112mph (180kph) 105S SL Treadwear: 540
Traction: A
Temperature: B540 A B 2039 lbs.
44 psi
10/32"
32lbs. 7-8.5"
7"
9.8"

29.6"

Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICAUS
245/60R18
Load Index 104 = 1984lbs (900kg) per tire
Speed Rating “S” = 112mph (180kph) 104S SL Treadwear: 540
Traction: A
Temperature: B540 A B 1984 lbs.
44 psi
10/32"
31lbs. 7-8.5"
7"
9.8"

29.6"

Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICAUS

Last edited:
I've read all the specs and I know the one blackwall can handle a little more load than the other. The one that has the less load rating is the OE spec'd tire. why still is the white letter so much less expensive with the same load and speed rating?

One view shows one tire with 1/32 more tread depth, the only difference I can see other than weight and load capacity.

Note that no one view in Tirerack.com shows all 3 tires !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordFocus
I've read all the specs and I know the one blackwall can handle a little more load than the other. The one that has the less load rating is the OE spec'd tire. why still is the white letter so much less expensive with the same load and speed rating?

I've never understood tire pricing -- see things like this all the time. I suspect it's largely due to whether or not it's an OE tire on some car. If it's OE, that means they're making a TON of them and hence can sell them a tad cheaper.

German car tire sizes are similar. There's always five different versions of a given tire with slightly different load ratings or something.

OK, guys,

First, on Tire Rack's web site, if they are displaying every tire in a given size - if you click on "specs", you'll get specs on every tire size with that name.

In this case it shows 1 of the tires at the top and the other 2 below.

Further, on the "specs" page, if you click on the "OE" tab, it will show you the vehicles the tire highlighted comes as OE on.

If you click on all three separately, you'll find the 105LI tires come on Jeeps, and the 104LI comes on GM's.

Explanation of the difference in Load Indicies: GM specifies a P metric tire (US standards), but Jeep is specifying Euro metric. For practical purposes there isn't a difference in the load capacities of the 2 versions - BUT - there might be a HUGE difference in other parameters because of who they are supplying tires to.

BTW I would take the UTQG ratings with more than just a grain of salt! It's possible these are not accurate at all!

UTQG is useless between different manufacturers. I find it's somewhat useable within the same company.

Buy the tires at Discount Tire. They will match the tirerack price,you get lifetime free rotation and balance and only 1 vendor and transaction. Also,you can exchange the tire at no additional cost within 30 days. only way to fly. Get the tire with the best warranty all things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back