Good idea to replace platter HDD with SSD in home surveillance system?

AVTech DG1007A home surveillance system, has a 1TB regular platter WD Purple 10PURX hard drive 64 MB cache. When HDD goes south, is it a good idea to replace with a SSD instead? I'm thinking a Samsung 870 series. The WD and Samsung both have 6Gbps rating. (BTW, the WD label says for surveillance use. Curious to know how this makes it different from regular WD hdds.)

I don't think a home surveillance system requires the need for a SSD. SSD's are built for speed and HHD's are built for longevity. I use HDD's for long term backups and SSD's for operating systems. You'll probably never wear out your HDD.

Absolute not. SSDs are not designed for sustained writes. A consumer grade SSD will have issues almost immediately with this workload while an expensive enterprise grade SSD will manage but quite frankly what a waste of money for that application.

PS: 6Gbps in this case is the speed rating of the SATA interface and has nothing to do with the actual performance of the drive.

If you have more money than you know what to do with, sure. You will be burning up SSDs quickly in a surveillance system, they are not designed for constant writing to the drive. Stick with a decent quality HDD. I have had home CCTV DVR systems for almost 2 decades now and only had a couple of HDD failures in them. Currently using one that has dual 4TB drives and its been running my home system for over 5 years now with no issues. You will see absolutely no improvement in performance with an SSD over an HDD in this application.

Surveillance use HDDs are usually designed for higher write cycles than a standard consumer HDD. They are basically the same thing as an enterprise or data center HDD with a different label on them. Either way, consumer, enterprise, or surveillance, all 3 will outlast pretty much every SSD in this application.

Absolute not. SSDs are not designed for sustained writes. A consumer grade SSD will have issues almost immediately with this workload while an expensive enterprise grade SSD will manage but quite frankly what a waste of money for that application.

PS: 6Gbps in this case is the speed rating of the SATA interface and has nothing to do with the actual performance of the drive.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

Used to work with HDD / SSD till recently. A few things in general:

Surveillance system is a continuous write application, and continuous write is usually not something you want to use SSD for. Even those expensive enterprise drive with 3 drive writes per day will die much faster for no benefit. You don't get more done if speed is not what you need or you are not seeking around when writing.

Surveillance drives like WD Purple and Seagate Skyhawk has different design criteria than typical consumer or even enterprise drive. They are lower power and they support extra commands surveillance system use to keep the drive writing at optimal speed and not having skipped / missed frames. If you use non surveillance drive it can "not recognize" the HDD, or it could and then miss some frames, or it can use a lot more power, or may not last as long.

I have also seen older system that only support up to certain size of drive, and a big drive I bought won't boot and I have to return it. Talk to your system's manufacturer and see what sizes (and maybe even models) are supported.

AVTech DG1007A home surveillance system, has a 1TB regular platter WD Purple 10PURX hard drive 64 MB cache. When HDD goes south, is it a good idea to replace with a SSD instead? I'm thinking a Samsung 870 series. The WD and Samsung both have 6Gbps rating. (BTW, the WD label says for surveillance use. Curious to know how this makes it different from regular WD hdds.)
I cannot see any reasons for SSD if HDD is working in this use case. SSD are not optimal for the use case you describe (continuous writes).

Back