Good aftermarket catalytic converter?

No! Interesting.because I had code p0420 inneficiency catalyst,bank 1,sensor 1..I have a code reader so erase it. I was using tcw3 in gas(never again,at 1 oz per 5 gallons,18 gallon tank,it fouled up my spark plugs and they dropped tank too clean it out). I erased code 2&3 months ago..and reregistered my car,emissions..I passed! Have the paperwork... It was just this past week,code kept popping up every 80 miles.3 times in one night last week. Though I erased the code..I passed emissions! I had upper 02 sensor replaced last year code came back more when I used Mmo in my gas.stopped MMO code went away.
Right now CAT is kinda shaking, burning gas on fast side.sounds like a tin can with marble in it lol.
If no emissions testing, just hollow out the cat. If the code bothers you, install an O2 sensor spacer.

North East states mostly require vehicles sold there must have CA emissions so CARB compliant is a must for CA equipped vehicles.
My brother had an indy shop put a Federal cat in his '03 Impala in NJ and it would set P0420 after a few days. It was a CA factory equipped car.
CA cat in and no issues. I never tried the ''spacer'' back then. NJ no longer emissions tests pre OBD2 vehicles BTW, they only do a OBD plug in, no sniffer at state inspection stations. They do have an undercar camera to look for a cat being in place though.

Well,took car in today.mechanic just called me 20;minutes ago.Need new CAT. Options..direct fit $,1040 installed. Universal fit ,$584 installed. Crazy.so went with universal.its magnaflow cats.i asked about walker,but ide have too buy it,bring car back,ect.be Thursday/ Friday then. So for next time, I'll keep that in mind.

Why would the direct fit be more expensive? It's the whole peace? Universal requires cutting and welding youde think that would be the $1040 one!
He said he uses magnaflow all the time. I do know many people use and like them...infact I never heard yet,anyone say bad about magnaflow.o kinda wanted too go with the walker. Oh well

Why would the direct fit be more expensive? It's the whole peace? Universal requires cutting and welding youde think that would be the $1040 one!
He said he uses magnaflow all the time. I do know many people use and like them...infact I never heard yet,anyone say bad about magnaflow.o kinda wanted too go with the walker. Oh well

The direct fit converter itself costs more than a universal.

Cutting and welding is easy for an exhaust shop that does it all the time. Direct-fit converters have bolts, brackets, hangers, etc. that have to be unhooked then reinstalled.

Magnaflow has excellent quality/construction, but their catalog isn't as complete and accurate as Walker.

I originally bought a Magnaflow y-pipe for my Ranger that I ended up putting the Walker on. Some websites said it would fit my truck, some didn't. I really wanted the best part I could get so I tried the Magnaflow. There were clearance issues around the transmission. When I called tech support they said the converters wouldn't fit flex fuel trucks, which didn't make a lot of sense since the engine is physically the same. Turns out, all flex fuel 3.0s are automatic. All manuals are non-flex fuel, so the issue was really the type of transmission. The Walker was so much uglier than the Magnaflow with its crinkle bends and bare minimum heat shields, but it went right into place and I haven't had a problem in the decade it has been on the truck. Walker is function over form, but I have never had a fitment issue with them and their catalog covers tons of applications. Also put their Dynomax cat back exhaust on another Ranger and it went right into place too. Magnaflow is great, as long as it fits, which shouldn't be an issue with a welded in universal converter.

Hi all! It's new CAT time. Old one now is neat gone. It is a bosal. Put over 34000 miles and 4-5 years on it. It's rattling,eating up gas ect.
Walker? Eastern? Adp? I always wanted to try walkers..it's a 98 Buick LeSabre.and factory is discontinued,and it was a $900 part,or I thought I once saw.putta question regardless!
What a very good aftermarket brand that will,could last longer than bosal?
It depends on if you live in a state that follows California emissions. If so it must have a carb number and i think they start with the letter D. Without it if you have emissions testing they will fail it. I was a state licensed emission Inspector for a year. I've heard that Walker is a reputable brand but never had to purchase one.

Well he put a universal magnaflow cat on.its kinda noisy.im assuming from weld areas.it sounds like bzzzzzzz.even the last cat,bosal,was quiet.it drives fine,nice.butvits bzzzzzz. Noisy lol

Back