Going to test ride a BMW K1300S as weather allows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I'm not completely crazy about the looks, the recently discontinued BMW K1300S sport tourer is checking most of my boxes: Large, powerful, reasonably good handling, does not use chain drive, not a cruiser, can mount pannier bags, not Asian (nothing against Asian brands, just don't prefer). The tele-lever front suspension is odd and accused of robbing a detailed feel for what the front tire is doing with the asphalt, but if I understand the way it works there is no fork oil to be maintained or to leak, which translates to lowering overall maintenance needs which is good. I'm 6'2" 220lbs 34" inseam and 38" sleeve in shirts so the larger size of the K13 is appealing and since it's riding posture is already less forward canted than other sport class bikes I'm hoping my long arms will further relieve wrist loading.

In the end it all comes down to first impressions both visual and in riding, so I need to go check one out in-person and take it out for a run. Today would have been the perfect day but I have family obligations.

You are in for a treat. The telelever is a little more vague than say a Concours or FJ, but for sport touring, I'd say better and less fatigue over the long haul. BMW certainly has the quality, but the idea of the German engineering, styling, and their "we never do anything wrong" can take a bit to get used to. I still miss my R1100RT... best bike I ever had.

I have a Multistrada 1200 now, needs some new plastic after a minor deer incident and then I'm ready for something different I think. The Multi has been good but is a lot like a big old dirt bike in some respects and the wind protection, for my head height and shoulder width, has never been that great. And I'm just kind of tired of messing with a chain.

Its all an I want not a Must Do. But life is short, so why not try different bikes from time to time is how I see it.

There certainly is a love/hate dichotomy when discussing BMW bikes. I fall into the love category.

They are not perfect and they are absolutely quirky but when they are set up correctly and the planets align and the seas part, there is nothing better than setting up a sweeper and leaning in to remove any vestige of chicken strips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend if you can afford it...do it. I love my Triumph Thunderbird but also really like the BMW cruisers. Nice machines for sure. You can convert that into a sport cruiser pretty easily.

Last edited:
I think it is a sport oriented bike without too radical of a forward leaning riding posture, and that can do some touring work with relative comfort. That is my preferred class/platform.

Originally Posted By: KernelK
K1300S a cruiser. [censored], you learn something everyday.

Oh sorry I was thinking the 1600...my bad.
06.gif

That K1300s is one cool looking bike. I've not ridden one, so I can't help you with advice. However, like you, I like the specs and the looks. It seems to be a great and powerful alternative to the big Japanese bikes.

I've always liked riding the various Japanese sport tour bikes, from the VFR800 to the FJ1300 and the ST1300. I much prefer sport tour bikes for long rides, over the Gold Wing class bikes.

The Ducati Multistrada is a cool bike too. However, for all it's promise, it seems down on "soul" to me. I've ridden them quite a bit and all the little things kept me from purchasing one. I found that the shifting was not what I was used to. I don't like the throttle by wire and the slight delay of instant ummpphh. And, I'm convinced the "tune" is wrong. It just does not seem to run correctly. Probably an easy fix, but in stock form, it seems incorrect.

My friends KTM 1290, while not faster than a Multistrada, has an engine that just feels and runs better to me. That's too bad, as the Multi is a more my style.

If I'm going to have a sporty bike, I want it to be hyper responsive. Even if it's not a top shelf race bike. To me, that's the fun of motorcycling. The Multistrada just fell short for my riding style.

Haven't ridden the "S", but have spent a bit of time on a K1300GT. Lots of power, nice brakes and handling. The gearbox was very clunky though, which isn't unusual on a BMW. A friend has a K1200S which is closing in on 100,000km (60,000 miles), so they seem to live fairly long lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back