GC in Japanese Mini-Pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased one of those little cab-over mini trucks. Mine happens to be a Honda, but the all use a 660 cc 3 cyl liquid cooled engine. Redlines about 7500, cruises around 6000 @55-60 mph.

I'd love to get synthetic oil in it. I've enjoyed GC in the Corvette for a couple years, and have a small stockpile of it. It's hard to get ANY good info on these little trucks, but I've heard 10-40 is recommended. I'm tempted to try the GC. What do you guys think?

Thanks, ****

I'm very familiar with Kei-cars (used to run small 3-cyl engines here in beaverland, incl. racing one in SCCA slaloms).

Go with 10W30 or 5W30 and you shall be fine. Don't fall for the "thicker is better" mentality.

Yes, no info on these cars but fundamentally, they shall always fall under the same pool of kei-car/kei-van/kei-pickup pool of designs and engines (Daihatsu(Toyota owned), Honda, Subaru, Suzuki).

Feel free to ask me questions if you need any info.

Q.

Thanks, Ouest. The English version shop manual was just released and I got one on order, so that should be a help. May take you up on your offer though.

That is interesting.
I always figured that since the engine in a Kei car is a small displacement, high RPM, water cooled engine, that it would take 10w40 just like the water cooled motorcycles do.

I have a 3 wheeled, '94 Cushman Police Truckster (NYPD Meter Maid Former Parking Enforcement Vehicle). It has an 850 cc, 3 cylinder, 27 HP Daihatsu liquid cooled engine. Top speed of 60 (with govenor removed). My manual recommends 10W30 year round.

If the 660 cc Suzuki engine is like my Daihatsu engine, here is what oils I like: GC (I have a stockpile of Green Variety) &
Havoline Synthetic 10W30

I did not like running Mobil 1 0/5W30 as much as the other two because the engine idled a bit louder with it. It also vibrated more with it (more of a "metallic" feel). With just 3 cylinders, you hear and feel everything!

I am tempted to try a 5W40 next.

I'm curious:

How is the fuel mixture control on these engines? Are they more like OPE - with carbs and fuel dilution to fight? Or ECUs and fuel injection? At least with water cooling the temperatures are under control.

That would play a major part in oil selection as much as grade, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back